Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Unit 55 Gunnison, CO

Old 07-24-2007, 04:42 PM
bigcountry

Default Unit 55 Gunnison, CO

Never been here before, but thinking of tagging along with a guy from church for bow. Anyone know the area? Good elk population?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
Spike

Default RE: Unit 55 Gunnison

Big Country, unit 55, 551has a post 2004 hunt population of 3,690 elk according to Colorado OutdoorsJan-Feb 2006 issue.It is one of the smaller elk herds in the state compared to the White River herd, 41,570 the San Juan herd, 20,040 the Gran Mesa herd 11,570. Go to the Colorado DOW site, http://www.wildlife.state.co.us/read up on their info on herd numbers,hunter's success, west slope hunter guideinformation. Unit 55 is OTC archery elk tag, so getting one is no problem, tag that is ! "OTC" over the counter. It is a beautiful area,the east border is right on the Continental Divide.The Collegiate Wilderness area, The West Elk Wilderness area, the Ragged Wilderness area, the Fossil Ridge Wilderness area, all surrounds unit 55.It ishome to the largest aspen tree stand in the world. Drive along CR 12, Kebler Pass road out of Crested Butte, to see the beauty of the area. Units 55, 54, 53, 521 are all along the road. It is 38 miles long from Crested Butte to Paonia reservior. All good dirt road in archery season. You will not regret traveling to Colo to bowhunt elk in unit 55, numbers are few in comparison to other units, hunting pressure is high near the roads, but they are there in that ruggedbeautiful country.Get in shape, it is rugged steep country !Go to http://www.mycolorado.com/ click on "Trip reports" in yellow at the bottom of the home page for the complete listings. Scroll down until you see "Lost Lakes" West Elks Mountains, June 2004. It is a hiking diary of atrip to Lost Lake campgroundsoff Kebler Pass Road, there will be numerous pictures of the area. This site will show you "all" of Colorado in it's many trip reports. Also, see http://www.mycolorado.org/ for more hiking, camping, photos of Colorado. Also http://www.rockymountainscenery.com/ and finally http://www.summitpost.org/ a mountain climbing site, for all the world, but great info on Colorado, you can find trailheads, and lots of info on hiking in the wilderness areas. Go if you can, you won't regret it . HH in Pa
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Spike

Big Country; Correction,sorry, that first web site for hiking,camping, photos, is http://www.aroundcolorado.com/ click on "Trip Reports". find Lost lakes, West Elk mountains. HH in Pa
Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 PM

I hunted the Fossil Ridge Wilderness area back in 2003. Two friends and I were in a drop camp and I shot a 4x4. It was the only elk any of us saw that trip. It was second rifle season and the weather was unusally warm. I found out later that the area we were in relied on the migration and since it was so warm, they had not moved in there yet. Saw lots of hunters in the valley along Beaver Creek.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Unit 55 Gunnison, CO

Cottonwood Pass, Texas Creek, the mountains NW of Taylor Park Res. I have run these areas for years and there are elk there, but you will work for them.
Gselkhunter
Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Unit 55 Gunnison, CO

I have wanted to go to the Durango area. I hear from friends that they see elk. Getting a bowshot may be tough. But my friend who wants to go to 55 unit, has never been there either. Not sure what his draw to the unit is.

A man could research for days.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Spike

Default Unit 55, 551 Gunnison Area

Any info more recent that 2007 on here? What are populations this year? Any reports or rumors that anyone knows of??

Galen Rankin. Minneola, Ks.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to the DOW web site for all the answers to your questions.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Spike

So for the past 5 years I have hunted are 55 (2nd season) and have not killed a elk. We have had great luck killing big bucks, but the elk have been a big pain in the ass. We hunt lost canyon, taylor park, and the double top mountain area. My question is has anyone had any luck killing elk in this area? I know its not proper to ask another hunter where do they typically see elk in this area, but I now resorting to this because I cant find them. So, where do you professional elk killing machines typically find and kill elk in area 55? If you shot one last year, during 2nd season, where the heck did you find them?

I'm just coming out and asking, because I'm tired of being skunked!!

Cheers,