Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Customs

Old 09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default Customs

Me and my buddy want to go on an international hunt but can't afford the hunt and customs. His parents are taxidermist and my dad works for an airline so we get free plane tickets and taxidermy. All we would have to pay for is the hunt and going through customs. My buddy said that the ranch owner he's working for goes to Africa and all over the place and a crate full of animals is thousands of dollars. I emailed them asking how much ammo I could take with means they said "enough for personal use" and it took like 2 months to get that response. So can anyone tell me what the cheapest way to ship back our trophies would be? I thought shipping them through ups or something but he said no. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes shipping your finished trophies home from Africa can get very expensive.

We paid for the taxidermy work to be done there and had to contract with an expeditor to do the paperwork and get the trophies crated and in a shipping container to head to the states.

They do not ship your trophies when they are finished, they wait until they fill the huge shipping crate to cut down on expenses.

We found that by freighter took longer but was less expensive then using the airline for transportation. Once the boat with the shipping crates arrives at its destination, its a long wait before everything clears customs.

Then you pay for someone to transport them from customs to your home. Here is where another snafu comes to light. The trucking company only has to deliver them to your house...its your problem to get the crate off their truck. And yes the crate is huge!

I am assuming that since you have your own taxidermist, you just need to have them dipped and shipped directly to the person doing the work. This is ALOT less expensive.

I am sure you will still need an expeditor to do the proper paperwork and to insure they make it through customs. But you will probably need to use air freight to get the untreated hides home quickly to prevent slippage of the hair.

Hope this helps.

Take Care and Shoot Straight!
Jayne
Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Spike

Thanks, I appreciate that. I live in a small town so there's plenty of guys with tractors to help me get the crate off. Thanks again!