Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ELK

Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM

Default ELK

Good evening. First time posting. I've always wanted to huntelk, but living in NC doesn't present an opportunity. Wife has encouraged me to research and plan a elk hunt. I need some info and was hoping this website would help.

1. Which states have the best trophy potential - I've heard AZ and NM.

2. I was told the Gila was an excellent location, anyone here confirm that?

3. I would prefer bow, but would consider rifle or muzzleloader. Rut is bow season correct?

4. Tell me locations to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Default RE: ELK

Az is probably the best in the country. Unit 9 north of Flagstaff is an awsome unit for archery look for 400 + bulls settle for 370-380. Nv not Nm would be my second choice, after that comes Alberta.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:11 PM

Welcome to Hunting net. Pretty cool sight.

First off, if you're thinking about hunting this season, you've already limited your choises of where to hunt. Because at least here in Wyoming the non resident application dates are Jan 1 - 31st. So you'll probably need to research the states where you can hunt that sells licenses over the counter.I know Colorado does.I know Wyoming does offer a late drawing for leftover licenses, those tags that wer'nt drawn the first time around. Pretty slim pickins though.

I believe all the states have trophy potential. But they ain't gonna be tied up to a fence, you got to go and find them. Tough huntin'. High altitude, uncooperative weather, up and down terrain, all while looking for the phantom of the forrest. You can't believe how well they blend in to the background no matter where they are. You'll hear 'em, smell 'em, then they're gone!

A great website for elk hunting and info is: http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/tips.html

Packed with valuable info.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:40 PM

For trophys don't over look Utah. I know nothing about utahpermits, butmy son guides there and there are more 400 point bulls coming out of there than any where I have seen.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would advise to not get too tied up in 400 inches. That is surely a nice number to look at in an elk, but VERY unlikely that a person actually comes across one and makes the shot! I know in Nevada there are less than 20 bulls taken every year that score over 325," out of about 400 killed, and Nevada has about 65% of its bulls being killed are 6pts per side or better. That means there are a lot of 6pts killed in the 250-325 inch class every year. There have been a few 400 inchbulls taken, but odds are probably 1 in 1000+++ that a person actually takes on that big. Not trying to put down a big dream, but I think it would be wise to set the sights a little lower so as not to go home dissapointed. Hunting elk is hard, and any harvest is a worthy one!

Now with that being said, I would also look into Northern AZ, Western NM, most of Nevada's units, and Utah. I know that NV has produced some good bulls in all areas, and Utah is definately producing some big bulls now also.

I know in Nevada, I have seen some big bulls. Lots of good 6 pointers, and I can only say that I have seen 1 that would go over 375" I have seen probably 3 that would go 340-360, and about6 that would go 275-330, and then quite a few that would fall anywhere from 4pts to raghorn 5's and 6's. This isprobably not as many asother people have seen,but would be a good representationof how a group of elk might equal out,size wise.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

Great Post Charlie Brown.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted the Gila and it is A great place to find a bull. It isn't as rugged as some of the other states.There Try looking at huntingfool.com. (I think that's the sight) they have a lot of outfitters to choose from. Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to live in Flagsaff and there are good elk, BUT.. Getting drawn to hunt there is a different story..

When I lived there I put in 3 or 4 years in a row and was never drawn.. Moved to IL and lost my points. I have put in for the draw for 4 years now this being the 4th year plus I have a lifetime AZ point for hunter ed course.

Still no draw! lol so good luck.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 PM

Thanks guys. I wasn't planning for this year, 2-3 years out. I wasn't aware of the trophy potential in NV and UT. I'll definitely consider. Thanks and have a good night.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

Utahapp's are all completed for this year, Neveda's are coming up. Ive personally killed bulls from both Utah and Nevada. Both excellent states for genitics. im in my waiting periods in both states, hopeing to again one day to hunt each state again. Utah passed on MANY bulls in the 300-340 range in hopes of finding the "grand daddy". Last hour, couldnt hold out any longer and took a 320 bull. Nevada, killed a non-typical 7 by 8 opening morning scoring 350 or so. Nevada you are required to buy a hunting lic to build points. Good luck in the draws.... Also Ive hunted the Gila, to take a good 6 point bull. 300 or so. Dont over look other states with general hunting units, tougher butmost can still hold good bulls. just have to look harder or hire an outfitter to get away from the crowds.. Good hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.