Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 "Potluck" Colorado Drop Camp Rifle Elk Hunt >

"Potluck" Colorado Drop Camp Rifle Elk Hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"Potluck" Colorado Drop Camp Rifle Elk Hunt

Old 02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "Potluck" Colorado Drop Camp Rifle Elk Hunt

I had a guy back out on me due to being accepted to an educational program a few years ago in July and I'd already bought my license (OTC bowhunt).I was asking around on another forum about considerations for a solo trip when a few responded and asked me to join a group from the forum. They were meeting in Colorado to camp/hunt together. It turned into a great experience and everyone in camp was helpful, considerate, and loved to hunt elk. Although I didn't get an elk on that first bowhunt, I made friends and one of them is just a great guy. He turned me onto another area on the 2nd hunt and I managed to arrow a small bull. Met his family who were some of the nicest people you'd want to meet and reminded me of home!

On the other hand, I try to pick my hunting partners very carefully as I've been on some hunts where we weren't on the same page. Nothing worse than having someone in camp that either doesn't want to pull their weight or are just plain AH's. I always try to make it the best trip possibly for the people around me and I do expect the same. Communication can be a big issue.I love planning the hunt, scouring the topos, working my butt off to get my body in the best shape possible, and just love the whole experience. When you start hauling quarters on your back is when you find out how hard or not you'd worked!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Quality hunting partners for doing a remote/away from homeextended hunt area rare commodity.
Too many talk the talk, but then can't walk the walk.

Too many others, if they do go, aren't willing to work or are just a plain whiney/b!tch'n pains-in-the-arse, as you really get to see the dark side of a weak partner as the days roll by, and the work, sweat, pain, and discomfort build up and drag on.

Unreliable partners when it comes to away from home/remote huntshas to be one of the main reasons that many "go-getter-hunters" that are moving up to experiences beyond the local deer patch just throw their hands up and go hunt with professional guides.... they choose to use a rent-a-hunting-partner/advocate-kind-of-solution rather than risking a"buddy" sabotage.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

EKM Id say you summed it up perfectly on that post. That the main reason I have hunted alone 99% of the time.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Fork Horn

I to would like to commend twofer on him revisiting his old thread to follow-up on his elk quest. It's nice to hear the results of a plan followed through on. I havested my first elk last year on a DIYfirst ever elk hunt
after doing a lot of research. Although it wasn't a back country hunt due to my 70 year old father accompanying me. It was fun just the same. I did walk (and climb) many miles each day. This year my new son-in-law is comming along and we plan to do some spike camp hunting. I was fortunate to get my dad, cousin and uncle go last year. But if they hadn't
I would have went by myself anyway.