Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter? >

Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:07 PM

Default Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

So I'm trying to do all the research necessary to find a reputable outfitter to provide a drop camp for Co elk. Will probably go for the muzzy hunt or possibly archery. Want to pick everyones brain about past experiences (good/bad). We are not set for sure on location, but have been looking at GMU 24 and 25...Flat Tops Wild. and White River Wild. any thoughts on these areas would be helpful as well. Will probably end upwith a bull tag (points built up) and a cow tag or 2 cow tags if we end up with 3 peoplegoing. Since none of us have hunted CO for elk, we are mostly wanting to make sure of the outfitter to ensure a good all around experience. We have also thought about 100% DIY, but are leaning towards the drop camp option. Sorry so long and I appreciate the thoughts! I'm going to do many searches to read past threads also!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

http://www.jmloutfitters.com/hunting.html
http://www.lonetom.com/otherservices.html

http://www.adamslodge.com/
I live in this area. These outfitters have permits into some of the better areas in the Flattops.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the quick response rbullom! I had found Adams, but Lonetom and JML were new ones to me. Since you live in the area I'm going to ask if you think it's even necessary to go with an outfitter vs. just DIY. I have all equipment needed for the camping/hunting/packing in and out, but since 1st time thinking outfitter may be the way to go?? After looking at topo map, I'm considering doing the DIY more and more? Thanks again and any other info will help me greatly as I wade thru this stuff...it's half the fun though!!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.winterhawk.com I've spoken highly of them on several forums here. Been there, and going back this fall for a mz or archery hunt myself depending on if draw the mz or not. I did the full guided hunt, but spent time at 1 their drop camps with couple guys, while hanging out midday. I'd def. consider a drop camp hunt with them in future also. If have any ?'s feel free to e-mail me.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Spike

You may want to look at Bar H Outiftters. We have hunted with them (3) times and are currently booked with them thru 2010. We will most likely not hunt with anyone else. We strictly do drop camps. Pack in about 4 miles never have seen another hunter. 2004 went 3-5 2006 went 5-5 2007 went 2-3. We have not seen any trophy bulls in there units but that makes no difference to us, we just like to be in the mountains and elk hunt. We have always felt very welcome and they will do there best to make your hunt enjoyable. We always see tons of elk. As they say when you call and talk to Jeanne you can take to the bank on what she says. I believe they may already be booked up for 2008 and some into 09. Almost all repeat hunters. Just my take on the overall operation.
any questions, feel free to e-mail me.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Spike

If you can afford it, use the outfitter. Don't know if you've hunted elk before or been in this region before but the Flattops is Big and there is a diverse range of success between areas and outfitters. I packed in our own drop camp back in the 80's on the east side where Winterhawk's permits are located up Derby Creek. Theyrun a big operation, lots of horses and lots of time at the trade shows. They may have a good rep outside this area but...I know the area, and have taken bulls, cows and bucks out of their permit area. There are better areas in the flattops. The White River Herd that everyone knows is the the biggest in the county is not on the east side of the flattops. Those elk drift down east to the Colorado River side during the winter. The west side of the flattops and the north sideup the White River and the Williams Fork are the big herd that migrates west. The outfitter's I gave you along with Bar H that Chief suggest have the permits in the more productive areas of theFlattops.
Archery andSmokestick season are during a time that you may get warm weather. A DIY huntin warm weather without horses is risky. Elk will spoil in hot temps and are hard to cool.You need to get them out and cooled quickly, within a day. Without an outfitter with horses is risky if you're back in 3 or more miles.You can DIY but it's allot of work and you really need allot of equipment and extra time to set up camps unless you are a real hard core, on your back, small camp and go type. Sounds easy but it's not.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

rbull, I've never Elk hunted anyplace else in Colorado. You say the best herds are not on the east side of the Flat tops, basically in Winterhawks permitted area. But you also said taken Elk there. The Elk travel down in winter. So what do they do early on in Sept. there? I was never in the Derby section myself. I spent more time in Elk Park , and higher around the ice box area, if know where that is. That was a hot spot wk I was there. Where we saw most our bulls.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Spike

Elk are all over the flattops in September. Some other places in CO with higher county they will drop in elevation up to 2500ft during the rut and then most will move back up after the majority of the cows are bred by early Oct.
Haven't heard of Ice Box or an Elk Park in this area. Though there are Elk Park's used for names all over CO. Basically everthing on the west of Sheep Mountain and Derby Peak is the areas they have permits that I hunted with our own horses and wall tent back in the mid to late 80s. Maybe they have some more permits in other areas. Just know they aren't on the west side. We quit thier area when they started setting camps up all over the good elk hunt zones in stead of leaving some holding areas. We killed elk in previous years where they started putting camps. You can't put a camp right in the middle of a elk herd and expect them to stay. The forest service gave them permits to set camps up in places we opposed because it was moving the animals out. Didn't do any good, the forest service employee didn't have a clue, probably never been to the area and Winterhawk was or is all about money not quality. My local opinion.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Spike

Correction, EAST of Sheep Mountain and Derby Peak.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the great info...it is helping me narrow choices down at this point! If anyone has anymore info willing to share, I'm willing to read! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.