Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming antelope hunting

Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Wyoming antelope hunting

This will be my first time antelope hunting and my first time to Newcastle, WY. I'm wondering if anybody has any experience in this area and if there are any decent lengthed prongHORNS in this area.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Default RE: Wyoming antelope hunting

It's not the best area in the State but as long as the springs snows aren't to bad and we get some rain this spring you should see some goats that will go 15"+, by the way mass is just as important as lenght. I have seen 13" antelope that have booked.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

i live in newcastle, what do ya want to know? what area are ya getting??? bow or gun?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in Wright and hunted area 27, 6 and 7 and could always find 15"+ antelope on the TBNGL areas. Where will you be hunting?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replys,

I'm hoping to get area 7. I've obtained permission from one rancher so far. Last year they had 100% draw success in this area for us out of state'rs. I'm looking forward for a week off of work---getting away from Iowa in early Oct for some rifle hunting.. I don't start bow-hunting deer in Iowa until the rut starts-usually the first and 2nd week of Nov. I've owned a rifle for about 10 years and finally broke it in this past year. Took a doe during our special late-doe only season in Southern Iowa. Anyway, I'vetalked toa few people so far andeveryone seems real friendly out there and I can't wait to make the trip. I've looked into a few hotels and there is one "Fountain Inn" that has a wild game feed Sept. 30thbefore the opener that I'm thinking aboutstaying at.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

the fountain is pretty nice. area 7 would be my recommendation. lots of public land as well as the ranches you get on.

if i could give you one bit of advice, though, miss the opening week. WAY too many hunters here. for a big goat, id come the last 7 days. i always see the biggest ones the last day. and be picky too, you can take a mature animal multiple times everyday all season. make sure ya get the one your after.

any questions on this area fire away.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 PM

I AM WITH HUNTMULEYS ON THAT. COME OUT HERE THE LAST 3-4 DAYS OF THE SEASON.
here is a goat that a buddy of mine took on the 14th last year. he is 15 1/2".
good luck to ya

Old 02-26-2007, 06:28 PM

anothe pic.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:35 PM

I would have to recomend studying the public lands by getting yourself some good maps. One of the better choices for maps is by a publisher called DeLorme. They make atlases of various states that show all land ownership by color codes. Orange is BLM, State lands are blue, etc.
Unless you can buy actual BLM maps for the area you draw. One key to accessing public lands is that it has to be accessable by a "publicly maintained road". Like a county road, state highway, etc. If a sign says "P{rivate Road", you cannot drive on it even though it accesses public lands. Hate yto see you get in dutch for tresspassing.

Most importantly, get the rifle out and practice 200+ yard shots. Antelope won't let you very close. Especially after they've been shot at for a week or so.Put some shots on paper AFTER you get here too!A good range finder is an essential piece of equiptment too. You've got to know the distance to know the shot!

I guess there is one more thing. Don't tie to the hood of your truck and carry it back to Iowa expecting fine dining. Antelope needs to be field dressed, skinned, and chiled down as soon as possible. Wash it off real good too. You do this, let it age for 7 - 10 days, and you will be eating some of the best fare the prarie can provide.

Good luck, and good hunting.

p.s. Antelope ears are about 6" long and will give you an idea of antler length. I agree to look for mass and prong length. These add considerably to the scoring of your trophy. Width of horns do nothing to score, just might look cool!