Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Harris Bipods

Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Harris Bipods

So I'm looking into buying a Harris bipod, because I know that Harris is the best. What I don't know is what model to get, and what size. My use of the bipod will be primarily for field use, shooting prone, and using the bipod to rest on objects.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Harris Bipods

I find the 11- 25 s the best
Old 01-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

I own all of Harri's models - great bipod. My personal preference is based upon hunting a wide variety of game and terrain, from open, rolling country to steep heavily wooded mountains. Sometimes I do not use a bipod while heavy timber hunting because they get hung up on limbs and stuff while you have it slung over your shoulder. The springs make a wonderful twanging noise when this happens.

The bottom line for me is; when I have a bipod on the gun, I want to maximize my choices for shot setup. I want to be able to lay prone, sit behind the bipod, or angle it for steep terrain shots. The only model Harris makes that works for most all situations I get myself into is their largest one. I don't know the model number, but it has two extension settings (which gives it a total of 3 positions), and it pivots. The pivot feature is manditory for me. I have had a few that did not, and I can tell you there is a dramatic performance difference, it's not just slightly better.

When in open terrain with high sage brush or tall grass it is critical that you have a tall bipod if you want to shoot off of it. I have found myself squeezing the legs together a bit on occasion to get a couple three more inches of height to clear stuff. I also believe that a shooting rest has to be attached to the gun, much like a quiver is necessary on a bow. This isthe low maintenance philosophy, because anything that requires additional time and energy to operate reduces the window of opportunity to take game.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Harris and the only draw back to mine is that I didn't buy the one with the pivoting head. This has proved to be a pain when on uneven ground. It hasn't ever kept me from taking game buy it gives me less convidence when I look throught the scope and my cross hairs look uneven. I would personally go for the one that pivots and swivels.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

I looked at the Harris bipods at Cabelas and then looked at Browning bipods. Chose the Browning. It's lightweight, swivels and tilts, and works for me. Just another option to consider...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?value=021J&cat_id=120&type_id=4 2007C