" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's >

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
18.32%
NO
71.76%
MAYBE
9.92%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Old 01-01-2007, 01:15 PM

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

In general, out and about with the kids, I fear the black bear much more than the grizzly. The blackies will stalk and kill children for food, if they can. Grizzlies are all about eliminating a threat and typically do not hunt humans.

I am always wary of blackies when I am with the family, and I do consider them more of a threat to us than the grizzlies.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

nope(end of conversation for me)
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Of course they are, grizzlies take far longer to loose their fear of people and just want to be left alone. Blackies are in everyones backyard.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

In general, out and about with the kids, I fear the black bear much more than the grizzly. The blackies will stalk and kill children for food, if they can. Grizzlies are all about eliminating a threat and typically do not hunt humans.

I am always wary of blackies when I am with the family, and I do consider them more of a threat to us than the grizzlies.
Yes, black bear will stalk you. He's not kidding.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM

when i lived in alaska, i was the commander of the mountain resque team out of anchorage. we recovered numerous bodies from bear kills, both black and grizzly. black bears killed far more people (hikers, campers, hunters, and fishermen/fisherwomen) than grizzlies, perhaps 7 to 1. they both have my respect and full attention when i see them in the wild.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gotta figure that black bears will eat deer and small elk too if they are so prone to eating people.Ive got little education on blackbears but I always thaught they would protect cubs and thats about all except for a few that have the acquired taste for people.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have any first hand experience with either but the way I understand it is..........

IF a black bear charges you then you had damn well be fearing for you life cause they are likelyintent on doing you harm and/or eating you. IF a Grizzly charges you they are more likely than not just attempting to scare you off and neutralize a perceived threat.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:03 PM

The people that stated that a black bear is more dangerous have it right on the head. I was attending pennState Univ when I was going for my Wild Loife Degree and did two papers on both Grizzlies and Black bears.
So I had to do a lot of reading and research..
It is true that a grizz can and will deliver more damage than a black bear, but if a black bear stalks and or attacks you without provacation, he does it for only one reason, he views you as a food source.
if you lie down in front of a Griz, chances are he will bat you around a little then leave. he might walkoff a ways and hide and watch you for awhile, to see if you are really dead. But if you stay quiet for awhile, they will almost always leave you and go away.
If you lie down in front of a Black Bear that is showing aggressive tendencies, he will eat you, pure and simple..and probably thank his lucky stars for the comatose meal..

Leep out:
Old 01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mabe its the smell of a turd in the victims pants that makes a griz move allong!
ORIGINAL: Leep

The people that stated that a black bear is more dangerous have it right on the head. I was attending pennState Univ when I was going for my Wild Loife Degree and did two papers on both Grizzlies and Black bears.
So I had to do a lot of reading and research..
It is true that a grizz can and will deliver more damage than a black bear, but if a black bear stalks and or attacks you without provacation, he does it for only one reason, he views you as a food source.
if you lie down in front of a Griz, chances are he will bat you around a little then leave. he might walkoff a ways and hide and watch you for awhile, to see if you are really dead. But if you stay quiet for awhile, they will almost always leave you and go away.
If you lie down in front of a Black Bear that is showing aggressive tendencies, he will eat you, pure and simple..and probably thank his lucky stars for the comatose meal..

Leep out:
Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

A good size bear of either species that gets killing you in mind is dangerous. The Black Bear is far more apt to eat at least part of its victum which is hard to recover from. MANY GRIZZLY ATTACKS LEAVE THE VICTUM ALONE AFTER THE ORIGINAL ATTACK. eITHER IF WOUNDED OR CORNERED OR PROTECTING ITS YOUNG, ARE BAD NEWS AND BEST AVOIDED, OOPS!!

Quick Reply: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.