" />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's >

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES
18.32%
NO
71.76%
MAYBE
9.92%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Muley69 I have to disagree with ya about the size thing, I have run into pleanty of blacks while guiding here in WI and I have noticed one thing, alot of the little blacks like 1 and 2 year old bears havent had a chance to get their buts kicked yet so they are curious and sometimes downright mean when you walk into a beat and they are eating they plum dont like it and I have had some let me know that..One thing is for sure though we always come to agreement that the bear is right and I am gone...I have yet to run into a big adult boar that has given me any trouble..Dont worry I am knocking on wood right now as I type...
Old 01-09-2007, 09:25 PM

Default RE: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

These types of topics I am very interested in andfind my self reading up on several different bear attack books. I highly recomend James Gary Sheltons work. He has 4 or 5 books out now i believe i have read Bear Attacks 1 and 2 and absolutely love them. He has attack stories as well as tons of useful information and studies. He talks about grizz, blacks and a few cougars. He really puts some myths in their place with his studies, like some grizz will climb trees, playing dead with a grizz does not always work, fighting back with a blacky does not always work, stalking black bears, carcass defensive black bears etc. They are great reads and i could not put the books down till they were done. Goin to start reading it again been a year since i reviewed it lol. Seriously guys anyone who is in bear country should read some of this stuff, and even if your not its a great book with real life encounters withsad and happy endings. The two stories he told that i cannot forget is one of a child killed on the families deck of the house. Mother was washing dishes in the house and a blacky can up on the deck and attacked the child. The mother was hitting the bear with a broom while it ate her child and never fizzed a bit. Another was of a guy who climbed a tree to escape a grizz, the grizz climbed up the tree grabbed him by the boot and drug him 20 feet down the tree by the boot and killed him. Some of these are real eye openers.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:39 PM

My brother-in-law has a nusiance bear that keeps getting in his garden and eating the dog food. It was on his front porch one morning when he went outside. It charged at him and he grabbed an aluminum softball bat and hit it in the head and dazed it. It wasn't bravery he said, it was his only choice. But it worked. The bear won't come in near houses anymore. This past fall when he went deer hunting behind his house he ran into the formerly brave bear and it ran from him.

This coming fall I am going to hunt that bear. That is if my brother-in-law doesn't eliminate the problem before then. They still worry that due to it being used to feeding around humans a bad encounter is highly possible.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:35 AM

I voted for maybe. A Black Bear that isthinking of eating you is more dangerous than aBrown Bearthat is not.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM

the odds pf a black bear encounter are greater, therefore it is a more relavent danger. factors would have to include proximity of bear habitat to humans and the distribution of the territorial, dominant males. dominant males are responsible for most fatalities.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

A Black Bear sow can be Mean & Nasty, but not like a Grizz!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 AM

Anybody who has done any reading or has lived or hunted in grizz country and I'm not talking in the lower 48 put in true bear country. Blacks kill more than grizz. If you attacked by a black your almost sure that your dead. A grizz more than likely is going to rough you up but isn't trying to kill you. Read any book you want and they'll tell you you stand a better chance with a grizz. But no matter which one hits youo it is going toleave a mark!!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM

Thats right B.C. ohh and we know about Griz. they have made a huge comeback in Wyo. and arepushing down to Colorado now. In Michigan
we know about Black bear and give them respect when encountered, I think it was ten years or so ago that5 people were killed by a sick rouge
Blacky in a park Can'tremember ware it took place but the bear went from person to person down a walking trail on a killing spree. does anybodyremember that case?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 AM

A lot of the timea blackie attack because it is hungry and it's not able to get it's normal food source....injury/age/teeth rotting/disease....grizzly attacks are often spurred just because they are an a$$ hole or a sow on a torent because her cubs are behind you.

They attack for different reasonswhen compared side by side...but I would say a griz is more dangerous just because they have a bit more an an attitude than a blackie. It's like comparing a drunk irishman to a homeless and sick guy....they both are dangerous, but have different motives.

~Cam
Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a good friend from Montana, and he said the Grizzlybears will actually stalk you, even jump from tree to tree, he said his dad saw a Grizzly stalking him once, andit didn't take him long to get out of there! It seems that with Grizzlies they're more aggressice,because they are 85% carnivore, whereas blacks are very balanced in their diet, Merriweather Lewis learned this the hard, lucky way. Just look it up, it's pretty crazy what happened.

Quick Reply: does anyone here believe that black bears are more dangerous than grizzly's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.