Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Someone help me pick a rifle! >

Someone help me pick a rifle!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Someone help me pick a rifle!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM

Default Someone help me pick a rifle!

I just was informed that if I choose a Rifle/shotgunfor Under $700 It would be under the tree on Christmas morning. So help me out. To Truely help you need a feel for what I already own. I've got several "deer" cartridges so thats covered. I own a Elk/moose/Bear cartridge (338 win). I own several varmint cartridges. So as you can see I don't "need" much. I would love an over and under 20 gauge, but you can't get one of those for under $700. Last winter I built a Sheep rifle, 6.5-284. Unless I just go for a big bore I have no ideas. I would like a 416 Rem but I want a nice piece so it would blow the budget.Any pre 64 M70 would be welcome, but...budget. You can see my predicament.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Someone help me pick a rifle!

Hey Shato,
If you want a o/u in 20 ga. I have 2 words Charles Daly.Take a look at the Modle 105 and 106 they function nice,look good and shoot great.I bought one of the 105's for my dad paid 379.99 12 ga.He has probaly 20 boxes thru her now and still works great.
As for a big bore I would talk to Kirby Allen of Gunslinger Gunsmithing outa Vaughn Montana,see what he would build you a action for.If not talk to him about one of his 270 Allen Mags or the .300 Allen mag(he sells a full package for about $2500)I know they are outa the budget but there is always next year.
Merrrrrry Christmass!!!!!!!
BBJ
Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

tika t-3
Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you have all your bases covered? Have you considered the 375-Remington Ultra Mag? I used a 375-R.U.M. last year for all of my big game hunting. I shot antelope, whitetail deer & elk with the 375. I was suprised at the lack of meat damaged. I was impressed with the 375-R.U.M.
If that does not strike your fancy? How are you set up for optics?
You could ask for a Cabelas gift card valued at $700.00? I alwaysaskfor gift cards asChristmas presents.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM

You got to understand. This is kind of under the table. My boy asked me what kind of gun I wanted. Of course I spouted off Beretta Silver pigeon Grade 5 in 20 gauge. Well, he came back and asked what I wanted that cost under 700. So He kind of let the cat out of thebag so to speak. He's doing recon for his mother, but he's not very sneeky. I doubt that telling him I really would like a cabela's gift card worth exactly 700 would work.

The charles daly would probably be great, but I kind of got my heart set on something fancy for this 20 gauge. I may never get it but I hate to settle right now.

I'm leaning a little toward another 22-250. I'm in between 250's now. So maybe I'll ask for that.But I've got more varmint calibers than I can ever shoot in 2 days already. Maybe, a 260 rem or 25-06 but like I said I have too many deer calibers as it is. I need something odd ball, something that peeks my interest.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 260 Rem. wouldn’t be a bad idea. You could always try new 6.5 bullets for your 6.5 - 284 and if they wouldn’t work maybe use them on the 260 Rem...
( I’m talking just about the bullet because I know the cartridges are different size )...
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a brain fart,how about a Thompson/Center rifle or contender.I was looking at these a while a go,you could if you want get a barrel in 416 Rem(but that even scares me on the recoil side)
But just think of all the options,300 whisper,375 H&H,25-284 win(wich I've always wanted),22-250,220 swift,even toss acouple shot gun barrles in there 20ga and a 45colt/410.Boy you would be set for any safari.
BBJ
Old 11-28-2006, 11:42 AM

Hey, hey,

Thompson Contender in some odd ball chambering, Now you've peeked my interest. Or maybe a Thompson Encore Muzzle loader...... See I knew that I would get some ideas from you fine folks.

25-284???? That really peeks my interest... Never heard of it, I'm assuming 284 win necked to 25 cal similar to my 6.5-284. very interesting Thompson chambers for this??? I love chambers I've never heard of!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

You got to understand. This is kind of under the table. My boy asked me what kind of gun I wanted. Of course I spouted off Beretta Silver pigeon Grade 5 in 20 gauge. Well, he came back and asked what I wanted that cost under 700. So He kind of let the cat out of thebag so to speak. He's doing recon for his mother, but he's not very sneeky. I doubt that telling him I really would like a cabela's gift card worth exactly 700 would work.

The charles daly would probably be great, but I kind of got my heart set on something fancy for this 20 gauge. I may never get it but I hate to settle right now.

I'm leaning a little toward another 22-250. I'm in between 250's now. So maybe I'll ask for that.But I've got more varmint calibers than I can ever shoot in 2 days already. Maybe, a 260 rem or 25-06 but like I said I have too many deer calibers as it is. I need something odd ball, something that peeks my interest.
I guess I would go for a used big bore for when you go to Africa.

I mean...you are going to Africa right??
Old 11-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/

Check out the chamberings page,it's gonna blow your mind.
Let us know.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Someone help me pick a rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.