Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Someone help me pick a rifle! >

Someone help me pick a rifle!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Someone help me pick a rifle!

Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Someone help me pick a rifle!

Brutal,

Africa? Maybe some day! Not any time soon. There are plenty of species in N.A. That I haven't had the pleasure of persuing. I guess thats why I don't have a big bore in my cabinet, its just hasn't been a priority of mine. My father and several friends have been to africa but I haven't really gave it much thought. I have my heart set on a Dall's sheep hunt sometime in the near future. (crossing my fingers)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:13 PM

I think we have a winner! TC Encore 50 cal muzzleloader. The only muzzle loader I have I don't particularly like (CVA). I like the idea of interchangeable barrels.heckI was lookingand if I'm not mistaken I think I can order a pistol grip and forearm and barrel and make it a contender.Thanks BBJ.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about a really sweet bolt action .22 long rifle? Kimber got started, I think, with a nice handsome bolt action .22, didn't it? I'm not sure about the price range. Granted, most aren't interested in plowing $700 into a .22, but if you got the varmint, deer, elk, and moose territory well covered it doesn't leave many gaps.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 PM

Alsatian,

I have a Anschutz (sp?) 22 lr. Real sweet shooter
also customized Ruger 10-22

thanks for the idea though.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep no prob,I'm real good at helping others spend money.LOL
BBJ
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM

What do you give a give a guy that has everything?

----Penicillin
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Hiawatha,

The stuff I got laughs at penicilin[8D]
Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the Encore addiction anonymous meeting......my name is Jeff!!!!
Our hunting group decided to buy T/C Encores last year. Ordered the actions as pistol configurations so as to have them registered as such for the future. Each received .50 cal ml and we have had a blast with them even though we haven't actually hunted with them as was the intention. (Elk someday, but there has been some deer/armadillo shooting take place.)
Only problem we have encountered, once you get it and see how enjoyable they are to shoot and accurate right out of the box, you will want more barrels. I have a .223 and a .25/06 to date. Just like you I have other deer calibers, but enjoyed the one I bought for my stepson and with the groups I was shooting with it.......had to have a barrel myself. Sweet shooting guns. I would suggest you go to the Bellm website and order the trigger springs and do the "at-home" trigger job. Out of the box they are pretty stiff. Mine is around 2 3/4 pounds and is perfect in my book!!!!! Easy to change yourself. My buddy has changed out a 1/2 dozen of ours, takes about 10 minutes tops. Among our group we have one that retired his .300 mag bolt for the same in Encore (SS and composite stock is just less to worry about damaging on a trek in the mountains), a new .325WSM from the aforementioned Match Grade Machine that is shooting sub 1" groups, and a .204 Rem.

Me and mine would highly recommend them. But you have been warned as to their addictive nature......
Old 11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't already decided on the Encore, how about a Savage Model 24 combo gun, I love my 22/410, but you could get a 243/20ga, or 30-30/12ga,or some other combination.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

9.3x62, CZ 550 either FS or American model. Great caliber and nice rifle!!!!!

Quick Reply: Someone help me pick a rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.