Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Rifle time

Old 10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle time

Well, rifle season opens tomorrow and my friend and I are on the lookout for Elk. I'm already getting nervous. Hopefully I will have pics. for you all tomorrow night.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rifle time

Good luck over there in Helena.I have been watching them on the hills around the house here the last few evenings here in the Southern end of the Root. More and more every evening. Less than 12 hours now.
Hard to tell from this picture but those are Elk above that tree in the middle.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:03 PM

It's been a long year, but I will be in the mountains chasing elk too. Good hunting. MV out!

Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Opening day was a big disappointment. I want to let you know about a disturbing trend in Montana.

It seems right before the 2006 General Season opened the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks and US Forest Service put up "Unauthorized Road" and 'No Mechanical Vehicle" signs all over near Lincoln Montana. I cannot speak for the rest of the state as of yet.

These signs are on everything but the main thoroughfares. Pack animals and walk-in only on thousands of acres even if there are good roads.

So what is wrong with that? A few years ago the head of FWP became a cabinet position making it very difficult to get an elected official in his place. Now Montana FWP caters to outfitters and ranchers, plus closing off thousands of acres of public land to walk-in only. You ever try to pack your game for miles?

Basically if you do not own a ranch or pack animal you will never venture past a few miles. They even give special permits to outfitters making it easy for them to get their supplies in, but not hunters.

I will always hunt because I have a few special hidden places with a good chance at harvesting game. Many others will quit in disgust.

And they wonder why hunting is dying. MV out!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Yup, I talked with one of the USFS monkeys and said it's for people who prefer to walk in. I'm like, people don't need a freakin road to walk in, they can walk in anywhere. There is virtually no ATV trails here in the 'Root and access is being more and more limited for the extremely small minority who walk trails etc. I am a strong proponant of forest access. MTVet, I strongly encourage you to break the locks and go in and enjoy what we tax payers have paid for. USFS and MT FWP sucks, I am tired of their politically based agendas and continual access restrictions. Don't forget to email FWP with a nasty letter either, I just did.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Well I think thats BS closing the roads with no warning. I think they should at least give an advance of road closures.
However, My Opinion, closing the roads is not a bad thing if I am to have warning.To many lazy hunters ( If you want to call them hunters) just drive around all day and never step foot out of thier heated truck.
Whats got my goat now is these large ranch's holding all the Elk on them for there clients.
Opening morning went out only to have Pick-up trucks on the ridges with spot lights hazing the Elk back on the private property.
I am witnessing it this very moment as a herd of over 100 elk are sitting low in the hills and on top of the ridge is a pick up preventing the Elk from going further in the hills onto public land. They aren't hunting as I can see no one get out, just driving back and forth.
Hoping for a heavy snow so they can't set out. Hunting is sure changing.
Did get my 12 year oldNephew his first Whitetail on opening day, just as good as if I had taken it myself.
Good Luck the rest of the season, I am heading out in the morning myself.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 PM

Congrats on your nephew's first whitetail. I love to hunt them most of all.

I was a little gun-shy to post my findings, but now I know it is as I suspected and they are doing this all over the state. I will be sending an email and voice my opinion, plus writing the newspaper.

It is the King's forest and the King's game from now on. I know many people will be tearing the signs down. All I can say is don't get caught. They have Forest Service Police in the woods now on four-wheelers hiding on the trails you can't go on. The signs don't matter if it is designated no vehicles on their map.

Now I know why many quit hunting and others break the rules whenever they can. MV out!