HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle time
Thread: Rifle time
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
MontanaVet

Default RE: Rifle time

Opening day was a big disappointment. I want to let you know about a disturbing trend in Montana.

It seems right before the 2006 General Season opened the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks and US Forest Service put up "Unauthorized Road" and 'No Mechanical Vehicle" signs all over near Lincoln Montana. I cannot speak for the rest of the state as of yet.

These signs are on everything but the main thoroughfares. Pack animals and walk-in only on thousands of acres even if there are good roads.

So what is wrong with that? A few years ago the head of FWP became a cabinet position making it very difficult to get an elected official in his place. Now Montana FWP caters to outfitters and ranchers, plus closing off thousands of acres of public land to walk-in only. You ever try to pack your game for miles?

Basically if you do not own a ranch or pack animal you will never venture past a few miles. They even give special permits to outfitters making it easy for them to get their supplies in, but not hunters.

I will always hunt because I have a few special hidden places with a good chance at harvesting game. Many others will quit in disgust.

And they wonder why hunting is dying. MV out!