Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 300 and 7mm ultra mag elk test >

300 and 7mm ultra mag elk test

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

300 and 7mm ultra mag elk test

Old 10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default 300 and 7mm ultra mag elk test

Just got back off a elk hunt where three elk were taken with 300 ultra mag, 308 warbird, and 7mm ultra mag. Here's the results.

First bull taken was with 7mm ultra mag less than 100yds. Three off the bullets were recovered. 160 gr accubonds. All the bullets where mushroomed and appeard to have atleast 75% of their original weight. All the bullets where recovered on the opposite side of the entry wound stuck in the hide. One through the shoulder, one through the ribcage, and one through the jaw. I found it odd that the speed of the bullet would stop inside the animal at that range. Especially beings the bullet didn't blow up and stayed together. Everything seemed to be perfect except for the fact that the bullets acually didn't pass through the animal at close range at such velocity's. Anyother experience's like that?

Second bull was taken with 308 warbird 180 barnex triple shock bullets. All three bullet passed through the elk and seemed to have expanded causing adequate tissue damage and bone breaking power. This bull was shot at near 200yds. First time to see the results of tsx on elk it passed the test and would like to see some long range tests in the future.

Third bull which actually was a bull calf.lol. Was shot at 125yds with a 300 ultra mag using 180gr remingtion premiere core lokts. Lets just say it only took one shot. lol.

Anyway that was some ultra mag tests on elk. I'm very curious about the 7mm ultra mag not passing through the elk at under 100yds and the bullet still staying intact.

Anyone care to enlighten me on some reason's why the 7mm ultra did not pass through?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 and 7mm ultra mag elk test

Have got chrono?I would check and see if the shells are loaded up to specks.I too am amazied it did not pass through.
I have seen non pass throughts with slower cartriges at less distance like a 180 speer hot core out of a 30-06 at 40 yds and many others.

I would check the loads again,maybe they were bad of something.
BBJ
Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use the 140gr tsx in the 7mmultramag and they will likelyexit.The tsx penetrates much better than the accubond.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

160 AB out of my 7mm rem mag passed through a bull elk (1 shot 150yards)and bull moose (2 shots @ 100yards). I have also used the 140 TSX to harvest both animals, 2elkboth 1 shot kills pass through at 150 yards and 75 yards respectively. All these where h/l where the ribs were the only thing hit for bone.TSX on last yearsbull moose was 70 yards 1/4 away and the bullet was found on the opposite hide after passing through both lungs and the opposite shoulder. Weight retention was over 90%.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM

Uhhh,

From what I hear, I thought the "mag-shooters" couldn't hit anything at all....
Here we are with 3 kills 1-2-3....
How does that work?
Glad to see there must be some "exceptions."

BTW, I am a big fan of the Barnes TSX (Nosler Partitions before that).
Seems like the Barnes stuff has a high propensity for "pass thru."
Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cherokee Outfitters:

I think mass retention may be the reason, since the bullets' shed 25%. Were the bullets' frontal expansion very large? If the bullets' frontal expansion were large, and the bullets' lost 25% oftheir massthey lost energyand momentum before they could exit.Although, I would think the bullet would have exited the jaw.

Maybe at a further distance the bullets would have passed through,since the bullets may have retained more mass and less frontal area due to less velocity.

As suggested, maybe the bullets' velocity were not traveling at full potential to exit, but atslower velocity the frontal area may have been smaller,and weight retention may have been greater exiting the elk.

The one thing we do know, is the bullets that hit vitals did not fail to kill the elk.

Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:30 AM

I shoot a 7mm remington mag using the Hornady 154 gr.interbond. This bullet performed well beyond my expectations last year. I shot my first bull elk last year in Wyomingat 468 yards. One shot and the bull turned and laid down. Bullet was not recoverable, it passed through...I would have loved to have recovered the bullet to see the performance, but I will 'settle' for a dead bull elk at 468 yds...

Regards,

BW
Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 AM

wow that isa long shot to get a pass through!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Spike

I hear alot of Praise for The 7MM RUM and its stopping power and range , the 300 ULTRA from what I learned not long ago is a big 7.62 or the Baddest .308 on the Planet that alone will make it popular . The 7 RUM is a good Rifle , I'm having trouble finding 140 grain bullets for it , everything is the power level 3 stuff in 150 grain bullets . Has anyone seen any 140 grain bullets for The 7 RUM ?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Spike

Default Elk bullets

That's very odd that that 7mm bullet didn't pass through. Maybe hit ribs on both sides? I used a 270 ADL in college and after until I could afford a better gun. I shot the standard 130 grain Remington bullets and they almost always ended up in the hide on the far side. The nice thing about the bullet that stays in the body cavity is that it shreds both lungs. None of those elk went more than about fifty yards. I now shoot a 300 Browning A-bolt with 180 grain Nosler partitions. They usually pass through unless I hit bone. The elk often go farther now than they did with the 270, especially on shots under a hundred yards. Sounds like a great hunt. Montana?