Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 A good Beginners Elk Book? >

A good Beginners Elk Book?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A good Beginners Elk Book?

Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default A good Beginners Elk Book?

Hey all,
This is the first time I have posted in this forum, but I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions for a good elk hunting/strategy book? My uncle and I are planning a CO bowhunt for elk in 2-3 years and I have never hunted elk a day in my life. He has been 2 times, with no success. I am trying to learn areas in CO for public land hunting, as well as tactics for bowhunting elk, and all about the elk rut, etc.. I love bowhunting whitetail deer, but I realize this is a different world. I am from Arkansas originally, so i know that the CO atmosphere will be completely new, and that I need to start getting in good shape several months in advance. Any tips or suggestions on some good books or national forests to look into would be much appreciated coming from a guy wanting to give elk hunting a try. Again, the hunt is being set up in 2-3 years, but I am going to try and learn all I can now, so hopefully I can be prepared when the time comes!

Thanks again
Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A good Beginners Elk Book?

You might try Jim Zumbo's "Elk Hunting" from the Complete Hunter book series. This book is inexpensive and reasonably comprehensive. The cost is about $16 from Amazon.com. You will need to reconstitute the following URL in yoru browser address line or just go to www.amazon.com and search on Jim Zumbo.

http://www.amazon.com/Elk-Hunting-Complete/dp/0865731268/sr=1-1/qid=1156944142/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4673383-5123004?ie=UTF8&s=books

There are, of course, plenty of other elk books. I have four books specifically on elk hunting and other books that contain chapters on elk hunting. There is a lot of elk hunting literature, and it doesn't hurt to read as much as you can. I find that a large part of theliterature is directed to the peripheral issues -- appropriate clothing, appropriate weapons, how to measure a bull's rack, how to field dress and quarter an elk, what states to hunt in, how to set up an elk hunting camp, physical conditioning -- and frustratingly little about the boots on the ground, rifle in hand, permit in the pocket hunting of elk part of the enterprise. I will be a first time elk hunter in October (first rifle season Colorado Unit 75), and while I feel I have a handle on the peripheral, logistics issues . .. what I hunger for are more details of the peculiarities, tricks, insights, strategiesof elk hunting itself. But you have to start somewhere. This book is not the worst beginning.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

I swear by a book by Dwight Schuh about hunting rutting elk. I think the title is a variation of the above phrase.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I foudn this this book a couple years ago...it is written about the wilderness area up herein Montana an area called the Bob Marshall wilderness...

The book is titled The Phantom Ghost of Harriet Lou...

http://www.amazon.com/Phantom-Ghost-Harriet-Other-Stories/dp/0918981042/sr=8-4/qid=1157039216/ref=sr_1_4/103-6805188-2519842?ie=UTF8

Having grown up elk hunting, I rarely read some of these as they are written in a boring manner or written like a military manual...this book was written by an outfitter, and shares some VERY good subtle points...and it is entertaining to read...I would HIGHLY recommend it!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the sport, and one thing that I have gathered is that I need to be prepared for sudden weather changes which can prove to be life threatening! Yikes, sounds exciting!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

funny you say that, today for instance...we had snow on the mountain tops...and it is predicted to be 80 tomorrow

Go figure!!!