Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 good day in my book.... >

good day in my book....

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

good day in my book....

Old 05-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default good day in my book....

i went out today walleye fishing with my friend and his dad..my first real time fishing from a boat and first time really walleye fishing...i caught the first fish of the day...my first walleye..it was only about 13 inches..legal limit is 15 so i took a pic of my first eye and dropped him back in....a little later my friends dad caught one right at 15 so he came home with them.....then my friends dad caught a perch that was about 4 inches lol...now for the good part of the story....i caught a channel cat bigger then my biggest! all we were doing was drifting a worm on a jig head on the bottom...the boat would drift 100yds or so in a half an hour..sometimes more or less depending on the wind...so our bait was just slowly bouncing along the bottom..once in a while id jig it a bit...i was leaning back just enjoying the day...and my rod bent right in half....my first instinct was snag...we had a few and thats what happend...i jumped up and set the hook...he didnt budge...i set it again really getting into him and i felt him thrash...after about 3 minutes id say...which felt like an hour..i broke a sweat trying not to loose him on 8lb test...it was a heck of a fight from 24ft down there...soon as he was near the boat he was pulling straight down..i thought he was going to get of or break my line or even my rod it was bent over so bad...i thought it was a walleye and had one trophy eye get away once in my life...i wasnt about to let another go...then he surfaced.....the biggest ugliest catfish ive caught yet....i was like YA!!!!!!! his dads like ohhh no that ugly thing aint comin on this boat! i was like o yes he is! its my biggest channel i need a pic!!so i got him on board and held him up for some pics...he was atleast 22 probally a few bigger..and atleast a 20inch girth...not a monster but for PA its a nice one..we dont get big cats like you boys down south..id call him an easy 10lbs...probally 12 or more...any day i catch a fish bigger then my old record i call that a good day in my book.....and my first eye too....what a day.....i still think we would done better a bit shallower...i dont know jack about walleyes but i know theres nothing in the middle of this resivour at 24ft deep most of the time...i think if we would found some strucer a bit shallower we would connected...but his dad been at it on this lake for years....all his gpsed spots just werent hot today i guess....thats fishing....i dont see the craze for walleyes....i guess their just that good to eat....to me they barely fight...and im not all into eating fish so i just didnt see why there were a good number of guys out on this resivour for these things...it was a nice day and we caught a few fish...better then none...anyone have any good baits i should try next time if i go with them again? the way we fish is we all fish from one side of the boat and they have a parachute type thing that we threw in the side we were fishing from...the current is facing us so it blows us away from our baits so it slowly drags along the bottom....any good baits and colors to try for some eyes fishing like that?? thanx...
Old 05-21-2003, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: good day in my book....

Great story mauser . Sorry no advise