Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

antelope strategies

Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: antelope strategies

If you have never called an antelope in you are missing something really neat to watch.
cherokee,

Would you mind sharing some of your calling techniques. Do you act like a challenging buck or doe in heat (I assume challenger buck).

do you use calls (if so from where) or just make the noise with your mouth. I have limited experience with antelope--although I have been successful at spot and stalk, but haven'tspent enough time (yet) to become familiar with their vocabulary--what type of sound is it???

Thanks
hb
Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks sound like a cross between a sneeze and a rubber band being plucked. They make calls for this. One call by Primos, looks alot like an elk call that you would bite down on, except, you don't bite the call as you would an elk call, you put your lips to it and make a teeeewwwww, with an emphasis on the t part. I love to here the bucks going nuts when another comes around.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Everyone else pretty much covered it, but all you got to do is put some miles on your truck and spend some hours lookin through your spotting scope.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

Hillbilly.

Elkcrazy8 explained it pretty well. I'm really surprized that someone don't have a better call and some video's out there. When antelope go in the rut they get dumb real dumb. Between calling(call like a buck) and a decoy that dominant male will come from a long ways away to chase off a smaller buck. You can move your decoy head towards the buck to an aggresive posture to get the buck worked up and switch it so the back in is pointed towards him for a cowardly posture. Usually the cowardly posture will finish bringing him in. I did not get to use call or decoy this year. I shot my antelope before the rut began.

I've personally thought about trying to make and easier to use antelope call than the rubber band ones out there. A challenge call to me sounds like tizzzzzzzzzeww pit pit. The little ending sounds is really neat in it's own way.

Good luck in the future and I'd go out during rut and listen to a few bucks calling and store it in the memory bank then you willl know that one and only sound.