Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk?

Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk?

I have to ask you guys a question. Is it even possible that i saw an elk in my area of ohio a few years back? I was riding my bike to my grandma's down the road and I could have sworn one walked across the road infront of me. Did elk ever live in ohio?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Elk?

SK23,
First that is one amazing avatar!
Depends on what county you live in. I read an article of elk sitings in 2003. I know some are released into Ohio. Let's see what the others have to say.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:47 PM

I was told that some time ago, elk were introduced into Pennsylvania on a trade with The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. They have since grown into a rather large herd and have also spread out across the state. Possibly spread into other states? Anyone else?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not uncommon to have a nomadic elk wandering around.They move from here to there,as you can say a walk about of a sort.
It's very posible you might have seen one.It's kinds like the collored mountain lion that was killed inNM few years ago,it was tagged as a kitten in the Black hills of SD.Animals travel great distances for what ever reason.
BBJ

Old 08-22-2006, 06:18 PM

Way back when this land had colonies instead of states. There was elk in every region, except for Florida. Elk are being released in Pen, Ky (2 places), Mi, Tx, Wi, Ark, and have traveled out of Wyoming to Ne, also some elk on Maui island in Hawaii. They're probably a few more states thatI haven't read about. Population in several states hinders more elk release. There was a rumur of an elk in my county in Ind. So I asked the people if they ever saw any tracks? Because elk don't fly.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:31 PM

I beg to differ elk can fly lol
Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: waterfx

I beg to differ elk can fly lol
Nah, they are just ghost like, they disappear and re-appear....
Old 08-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything is possible. It could have been from an elk farm (there are a few in Ohio that I know of) I guess. Ohio never had large herds of elk, but there were some here until around the turn of the 19th century. Kentucky was the best place for elk around here even back then. Buffalo too for that matter. Wouldn't that be crazy? It must have been amazing back then.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:57 PM

In that case, I'm going to start checking the SKY out more often.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 AM

A good friend of mine living here in Wyoming now is originally from Ohio. His dad still lives there on their farm. He (the dad) raises elk for food on a part of his farm. I don't know what part of Ohio his farm is, but is it possible that someones' elk got out? You might check the area to see if someone has an elk farm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.