Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk bow hunting solo or together? >

Elk bow hunting solo or together?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk bow hunting solo or together?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 AM

Default RE: Elk bow hunting solo or together?

95% of my hunting is stalking. I either spot and stalk or have a good idea where they are before I begin the stalk. Because of this I hunt solo. I am slowly getting into calling and I can see how this would be more effective with two hunters. The problem I have with hunting with another hunter is that here in Texas there aren't many experienced elk hunters. Everyone I know is very green and they are just dragging me down.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Guide service I use hunts with 2 archery hunters w/ 1 guide. The guide hangs back and does the calling. The shooters are placed ahead and apart several yards. They've found this gives better shooting opportunities on the Bull coming in.They explainsometimes they try to circle, and other times you just don't know exactly how close that Bull will get toa loneshooter when he shows. It would seem like a good system to me. I know I've seen single shooters on the Outdoor Ch., and they often don't get a chance because of the way the Bull approaches.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to bowhunt solo,but do hunt with upto 3 partners.
BUT like you guys have said you need to know your partner,I hunted last year with a guy who thought LOUD,AGGRESIVE, bugles were all elk came to.Put it this way you don't wanna be cow calling next to a guy who bugle's like Ted Nugett on a guitar solo,not only do your ears suffer,so dose your hunting.
BBJ
Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two works better, for sure, but, I prefer to hunt by myself. I have been very successful, or lucky, I'm not sure, but I've killed my share of nice bulls. I prefer to drink beer at the campfire with my friends, but itsthe bulls againstme in the dark timber.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

2 guys...one come down the ridge, the other sneak up the same ridge.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:40 PM

the only problem i have encountered with two guys archery hunting is that sometimes the elk seem to circle at the last minute to see what is calling. This can take the shooter completely out of the picture and the caller usually isn't ready to shoot. Also, many times elk come in silently so you don't know the direction it is coming from. But for the most part, I always bow hunt with a partner, you just have to learn how to adjust for that. I have heard of people hunting in groups of five or six with the caller in the middle and the other guys in a circle around him, but i haven't tried that a whole lot
Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

One man can.

Two men to execute a plan and get that elk meat into a can.