Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 ???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME >

???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME

Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ???'s ABOUT PROCESSING YOUR GAME

Yes, deer here get lots of fat in good years too. As stated by hardcore, the difference in beef is "marbling" which is fat within the muscle bellies. That is why venison is much drier than the "fatted calf". That is alsowhy I like axis deer meat the best of any venison. It does have some marbling within the muscle, making it jucier/more moist.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never seen a marbled saskatchewan deer myself...!

Like mentioned if you can control the temp 33-38 degree go ahead and age, if you like. If not you are running a risk. If it is freezing then aging process stops so it does absolutely nothing to hang the meat!

IMO the main concernis the rigor mortise process, which comes full circle within 24 period post mortise (death). After this time aging of the meat will commense. I like others find no real benefit to hanging or aging my wild game. Sometimes my meat might hang longer than 24hrs because of time and honestly I can't tell the difference between day 2 butcher and later animals in quality. I like venison better than beef, so I make sure to get every choice cutI can for grilling on the bbq.

I also butcher game as a sideline (hobby really), in the past 5 yearsI have had one complaint about the meat and that guys deer came in stiff as a board with half the stomach contents still inside the cavity...needless to say no amount of aging would have made that animal taste good[:'(]. So after the harvest care is quin essential as well...but i think most here know that very well.

Any ways to each their own do what you have found works best and enjoy.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:48 PM

We had a butchering class at Penn State when I was taking Wildlife Classes..And Zumbo also agrees that hanging meat is a good thing, if the temperature can be controlled...if you hang it enzymes break down the muscle tissue resulting in more tender meat...
he actually went for a month and forgot about a spike elk he left in his garage. When he rteturned there was mold on the carcass.
He took a bucket of water with vinegar in it and washed down the carcass. he stated that he never had more tender meat.Go figger.
They are supposed to tenderize better with the hide on as the meat will get a black coating on it after awhile....So dry..
I've killed 11 elk and never had a tough one, but I always take great care to clean them well and cool them as soon as i can..
Leep