Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WYOMING MOOSE HUNT

Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default WYOMING MOOSE HUNT

I'm beginning to gather as much info I can about a 2007 Shiras Moose hunt in WY. I will have 7 PP's next year which gives me the possibility of drawing a tag in a good majority of the units. I was wondering if anyone has ever hunted moose in WY and what they would suggest as to the best dates, areas, elevation, etc. I don't have the $ to hire a guide, but I think with two weeks a guy should be able to stumble upon a moose. Any suggestions, help, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default RE: WYOMING MOOSE HUNT

No, but if you get sick or something comes up I will be glad to take your spot. Good luck getting drawn.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:42 PM

MY FRIEND HERE IN PA. HAS 7 OR 8 I,LL ASK HIM WHEN I CAN
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 AM

What units are you looking at? I grew up in Kemmerer, Wyo. and know those units around there very well. I personally drew 26 when I was 14, and my dad drew this year (Res. 10 pts). I know the other units around there as well. If you lean there, holler, I'd be happy to help.

One thing to keep in mind is the hunts in Wyo. are generally Oct. 1-31st. Dang Moose are rutting and roaming then, so sometimes it's just dumb luck. If you bow hunt, you might want to see if you can take a week to do that. A buddy of mine chased a monster with his bow and we never saw him again once rifle started.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

HE4F,

I was actually thinking about unit 10 or 26. 26 appears to be a huge unit with quite a few tags. The info I receieved from the G&F Dept showed that someone drew a tag last year in unit 26 with 6 points, is that wrong? I have never set foot in unit 26, but by looking at the map it appears to be made up of the Bridger Tetons, right? I have never hunted moose before and have a million questions. Would you mind if I contacted you through your email to bombard you with my questions? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 PM

Check out: www.huntodds.com It will show you who drew with how many points. Be sure to click on the Pref Point section, not the general draw section. It looks to me like you needed 7 pts. Although people with 7 pts 2nd Choice drew too... none lower than that on Unit 26 (Non Res).

Sure, email away: [email protected] I'd be happy to answer any questions I can.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:16 PM

I would check out the Big Horn Mtns. Seems to be quite a few big bulls over there now. And there's not that many wolves in there yet.

I live in area 9 and it's even hard to see a cow moose here any more.

I hunted area 32 6 years ago, I hunted 15 straight days and only saw one cow moose. They closed that areaa couple ofyears after that.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:09 PM

First off, don't get your hopes up about your chance of drawing a moose tag, even with all of your preference points. There are thousands of other guys who have all their points, and very few moose tags are given out in the entire state, let alone to non-residents.

For quality bulls, a healthy moose population, and lack of qrizzly bears and wolves, there are few places in the world as good as the Big Horn mountains for Shiras moose. In fact, I would venture so far as to say there are several bulls running around in the Big Horns that are big enough to easily make the top 5 for largest moose killed in WY. Equally as amazing as the quality of bulls is the number of moose you'll see. Every time I head up the mountain to do nothing but look for moose, I see probably 30 bulls in one night. Everyone else who goes up there to look at moose can tell you the same thing. The best two areas in the Big Horns are areas 1 and 34. I spend a lot more time in area 1 than I do in area 34, but I know they both hold some real whoppers.

As for the time and place to hunt, it's kind of a crap shoot. All summer long the moose seem like they are everywhere, then as soon as hunting season and the rut nears they become ghosts. The big bulls are big for a reason- they head clear back into the wilderness where they are hard to get to, and even harder to pack out. It's hard to tell where exactly they go during this time unless a someone has been following them or they stumble across them while they are scouting. My dad and I scouted over Labor Day weekend when he had his area 1 tag a number of years ago, and we found a bull that honestly had to have been close to 60" wide with huge paddles and a ton of points. It was definately a record book bull. He was nowhere to be found on opening week of bow season, though. If you're lucky, you will run across a bull that has ventured back closer to the roads in search of cows. That's how my dad and I ran across the 51" bull my dad ended up shooting. Going at the opening of the rifle season would probably be your best bet if you're only going to use a gun. If you're going to use a bow, it might be worth going at the beginning of bow season and trying to catch a bull before he heads back into the wilderness. You also might want to go during the last week of bow season then the first week of rifle season. It's really up to you depending on what weapon you want to harvest your moose with. You also might want to keep in mind that if you go later in the season there's a good chance you'll get hit by a snow storm.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer them. I am in no way an expert at moose hunting because it is a miracle to have someone you even know draw a permit, so I have only been twice my entire life. But I do know the area fairly well since I spend quite a bit of time up there.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks so much for the information. You are right about drawing a tag in the first place, however a few of the units I have researched had 100% draws with 7 or 8 PP's. I will be right on the bubble and have my fingers crossed. I would love to hunt the bighorns, but drawing one of those tags might take me another 10 years. Thanks again for the information as I know very little about moose hunting, except that I can't wait to hunt one.