Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Moose Hunt

Old 05-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default Wyoming Moose Hunt

I drew a moose tag after 29 years in the Wyoming Big Horn Mountains,

Anybody have any experience hunting moose there?

I live about 100 miles from the area and plan to scout like crazy this summer. I'm going to start out with a bow and switch to a gun when the season changes.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wyoming Moose Hunt

Congrats on the draw!!! I have never been hunting up that way... a very sought after tag though..
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

go to monstermuleys.com lots of good info on WY there
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

29yrs? I hope I draw mine sooner, but I suppose after 20yrs of no luck, you put in for the best areas...

Good Luck.

If you're a "huntin fool" member you can call them up and get a list of everyone who has drawn and hunted that unit in years past....for $100/yr that might be worth it for previous moose hunters experience advice in that region.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Spike

About 7 years ago I realized that when I got a moose tag it would probably be the only one I would ever get. So. I decided I would hunt the best area in the state and since it is only about a 100 miles away I figured I would have time to scout. I didn't figure on my daughter getting married in August.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Congratulations Joh: that is a fantastic tag. You did awsome. In fact that may be the premium Shiras moose tag on the planet. There is history of some monster bulls in there and believe it or not they are much more accessable then most moose. I have seen a couple very good ones in there and I have only spent a couple days there. I also know a guy from a neighboring town (Scottsbluff NE) took a number 2, I think pope and young bull from the Bighorns. If you do your scouting and your research you will do well. Just in case you have not been around a dead bull moose before --- THEY'RE HUGE, GET HELP. They really are a ton of work when you get one down.
I'm from Torrington SE corner of Wyoming. Where are you from?
Good luck bud.
Bugleward
Old 05-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Spike

I'm from Powell. I've never been with a dead moose, but I shot a bison at Jackson a couple years ago so I have some idea of big dead animals.
I have seen big moose up there and I'm looking forward to it. I elk hunt in a different area of the Big Horns and last year during elk season we had a moose come about 20 feet from us.