Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need your help with story? >

Need your help with story?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need your help with story?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need your help with story?

As some of you know I compeat in elk calling contests throughout the west. Becasue of it, I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a lot of folks who are " experts" in the elk hunting field. With talking to one of theseguys he told me I should submit a story or two about my hunting expreience to a certian magizine. He himslef is a elk caller and pro staff for a calling manufactureas wellas aauthor from time to time in different magizines. I am not aexpert when it comes to writting so I am asking for help and your honest opinon of what I can do to inprove the overall story, without lies of course. Also tellme honestly if its a good story that people would like to read in a magizine.I wrote this story last december, and posted it on another hunting site just because it was in my heart and its how I feel about elk and hunting. Anyway here is the story, sorry its kind of long Jason.

Thislast yearmy wife and I had a very enjoyable time taking our two kids out trick or treating on Halloween night. Looking back I would say it was a lot more fun for me watching them than it was when I was a kid at their age. I was thinking about thislastnight as I was laying in bed and was wondering what was my most fun Halloween night for me before the kids and wife came along. The answer was simple it was a night/evening 11 years ago before kids and marriage. It really had nothing to do with ghosts, goblins, mummies or anything else scary spooky or otherwise. The only thing it did have in common with Halloween was it took place on evening of October 31. Looking back in time, that year was a good hunting year for my family and friends and myself. I was 20 at the time and was getting ready to go on a mission for my church. I had two weeks off in September and most of the month of October off to hunt. In September I killed a spike bull elkwith my bow and was on cloud nine because it was my first bull elk with a bow. The good luck continued into October with our rifle hunting camp. Our camp was very busy and successful. Including myself there were 13 hunters with deer tags in their pockets, and of the 13 hunters 9 had elk tags too. During the first week of the general seaon spike bull and controlled cow elk hunt we had 7 elk hanging in camp. The general rifle deer season (buck only) was also under way, it started 4 days later than the elk and we had several smaller bucks hanging from day one. My own deer tag was like gold in my pocket. Yes I wanted to harvest a big buck but more importantly I wanted to hunt every second that I could, knowing that I would be leavingon my missionfor 2 years in December. Those that know me understand that I like to hunt most game animals, but out of them all I love elk and elk hunting the most. When I can’t hunt them I still want to be out watching and trying to sneak in close to them. Or better yet calling them into me just to be close to watch and learn. Even when deer hunting I am always on the lookout for elk, I know this sounds crazy but I would almost rather look at and continue to watch and learn about elk than shoot a average size mulie buck any day of a hunt. During this week and a half hunt I was in this same mind set. I did have the chance to tag the biggest buck that I have killed or should I say helped kill. My friend Danny and I had just left his truck at the trail head and were walking together making final plans for our evening hunt when we saw a big mulie buck jump up from his bed about 70 yards awayand make a run for his life. There were two shots fired almost instantaneously, he traveled another three or four full strides and collapsed. Upon reaching the buck we saw two holes through the vitals, knowing we both equally killed this buck, Danny suggested that we flip a coin for it. In my heart I wanted to keep hunting even though this buck was 28" wide 4 pointwith nice deep forks. I offered to my friend that he tag the buck and just give me a slice or two of the back strap for dinner that night. He was glad to take up my offer. In the remaining days of our huntI continued to hunt with friends and family and I had plenty of chances to fill my deer tag with smaller bucks.After being home for a week another friend, Mark who was one of the seven hunters to punch his elk tag invited me to go back with him for the remaining 3 days of the general rifle deer season. Earler during our week and a half hunt the weather couldn’t have been more perfect. For these last three days the weather couldn’t have been worse. Mark and I were hunting in what seemed like blizzard like conditions. We hunted the thick dark timber hoping to run into animals held up in the storm. The second day was so bad that we only went out for a few hours in the morning and the rest of the day we were in my wall tent with the wood stove blazing. At midday on the last day of the season October 31, our luck with the weather changed. Mark and I worked our way up a canyon that we had hunted many of times before. It’s a big canyon full of dark timber spotted with plenty of small openings. At the top it opens up to some big meadows that surround the tallrough granite peaks. As we hunted our way up the canyon, our hopes of finding animals were high, but as we neared half way with out seeing a single animal or sign I was getting worried that the storm drove the animals out of the area and into lower elevations. The snow was getting deep but as long as we kept to the wind swept ridges it was manageable to traverse. Upon reaching the top we were sitting silently at the edge of a big open meadow. The sun was setting and it had that orange fiery glow to it that made the ridges look like they were on fire, glistening with the new white frosted snow. I knew at that point that my hunting was over for the season and it would be close to 3 years before I could return here in central Idaho to hunt. I was taking it all in. It was so calm and peaceful, as well as beautiful, a view that only the high country in the Rockies could provide. Mark finally broke the silence and said, “Dang! I wish we could see a big buck.” I didn’t say anything but wished in my heart that I could in fact see a big bull elk here in this beautiful setting. As if someone upstairs was listening to my silent wish on cue a big 6x6 bull elk stepped out of the timber and into the opening above us. He knew we were there but seemed to sense that we were no threat to him. He would lift his head up to watch us for a second or two only to drop it and paw through the deep snow and pull out the long grass buried beneath. He wasn’t a world record bull as far as scoring goes, but that didn’t matter to me or to him. He was a survivor in this harsh landscape. Besides his respectable head gear he was very muscular and big bodied. The sun gleamed off his antlers and made his hide glow yellow. He was the king of the mountain and he knew it, a majestic animal indeed. Mark and I watched him until it was too dark to see. On this hunt my wishes were fulfilled, without taking a single shot. I was there in body to find and hunta big mulie buck but in my heart I was there to go for one last round with the beautiful and majestic elk. Looking back, I realize more than ever that a successful hunt is not all about killing an animal. This pastyear I had the privilege of punching my 12th elk tag, so I know what it’s like to come home with an animal or without one. I mostly bow hunt, and I like to rifle hunt from time to time. When allowed by the law, and if I have time, I also like to give chase with a muzzleloader. But first and foremost I am an elk hunter and elk lover. Yes, without a doubt that Halloween night was the best for me. I can only hope to share that same experience with my kids someday.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need your help with story?

Thats a good story,it's about par with some off my favorite reading.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Jason, I'm certainly no writer! <grin> But it would be easeier to read & follow along if the story--stories, were broken up into paragraphs.

I enjoyed following along through an interesting side of you though!!

Thanks / ElkNut1
Old 05-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

elknut & BareBack Jack, thanks for your reply's I have had some other people PM with a few idea's too. Thanks everyone.