Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Close Call on a Big Bear

Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Close Call on a Big Bear

Wow thats what I call a close one. I bet they had to clean out their shorts after that.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:01 AM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

Great looking bear, great story, and I'm glad neither of them were hurt.

It is normal practice for a hunter to crawl into a bear den, covered withtracks, to see if a bear is inside?????? I've never hunted bear,so i'm not sure how's it done. But geez, going into a den and around a 90 degree turn to look for big brown bear.... does anybody else think this is dangerously stupid? If you don't want to be face to face with a bear,and be easily put in this type of dangerous situation, then why go into the den? I'm just curious more than anything...
No I think that was a serious case of: "you ain't gonna believe this, but"
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 PM

WOW!!! Awesome story!! What a huge bear!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Quite a story!! At least you've got experience for next time. Glad neither of you were hurt.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 PM

It is normal practice for a hunter to crawl into a bear den, covered withtracks, to see if a bear is inside??????
Nothing about this encounter was "normal", and my brother in law admitted how foolish they were to assume that the den was un-occupied. They normally hunt these bears as they are coming out of thier dens, and thrucaution to the wind assumingthis den was abandon. It was a mistake they'll never make again.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a mistake they'll never make again.
Good deal... What an awesome bear, to come out of it though!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Thats crazy. Or should I say that guy snooping around in a brown bear den is crazy.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:13 AM
DM

When i was hunting brown bears a lot (in Alaska) that would have been an illegal kill. It then was, and probable still is, against the law to bother or harass denned up bears in any way. You could NOT poke around the den and then kill a bear if it came out.

Perhaps this is a story that should have went untold!

Drilling Man
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: DM

When i was hunting brown bears a lot (in Alaska) that would have been an illegal kill. It then was, and probable still is, against the law to bother or harass denned up bears in any way. You could NOT poke around the den and then kill a bear if it came out.

Drilling Man
You're not serious are you? Would you feel the same way if someone shot a moose or caribou as it was bedded down? Give me a break. There was nothing illegal about that hunt.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

Drilling Man
I'm not sure what the rules are up there now, but they were not "poking" around the den trying to get the bear to come out. Anyway, if it was an illegal take, the outfitter they met the next day would have turned them in.

I do know that some rules have changed in certian areas last year, like someareas allowing bait for browns. Also, I heard you can use a predator call on a denned bear to coax it out of a den. I imagine it all comes down to whatarea your hunting up there that will determine the legality of a kill.