Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

close call!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default close call!

I got a story that begins on a cool day in november last year!,
We were calling geese in a cut corn field! There were 5 guys, 3 layout blinds and a haybale blindand about 15 dosen decoys! There were alot of guys out in our area that mourning and alot of geese! We were close to limiting out by 9 am when our oldest guy had to get going. At this time the geese had slowed up a bit and when he was walking back to the vehicles we all stood up to stretch and re adjust some of our spread! all the sudden i looked up overhead and there was a V Right above us! Flying low and quite! I shouldered my benelli and let it bark and when the 2nd shot rang out, the goose folded and started sailing down to the ground! That was fine and dandy but i was out in the spread pretty far and the way the goose was comming down it was heading right for my truck! All the guys were on there feet yelling like it was the super bowl and touchdown was about to take place! I thought for sure I was sunk! The goose landed about 80 yrds. from where i had shot and landed not more then 2 ft. from the side of my truck! I was so so so lucky! and that was the last goose we killed that day! Anything like that ever happen to anyone else?
Let a brother know!!!
Team Fowl Playaz!!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: close call!

I got one even better,,, we like'em close, a trip was comeing about three years ago, just two of us in layouts. My pal took the lead bird,, canadas and I took one, he was turned trying the third as the one I took landed in his lap. The bad part is he was far from gone,, he beat the daylights outa poor Steve. It's one of those things that's funny now, but real funny when it happened.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I know a guy who shot the first and turned to take the second - only to have the first clobber him fromm behind - it tore his shoulder up bad and knoced him out cold! His son found him out cold witht he goose on his back. He did have to undergo rotator cup surgery and now is disabled! The way he looks at it is - he is lucky to be alive!

JW
Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was out snow goose hunting this spring, and the snows were coming in on a string 10 feet up and 15 yards out. well we had a flock of about 20 come in and there was 5 leading the way and by the time that the shot was call the 5 were straight above us. I guess no one saw them because they werent getting shot at so i rose up and rained down two of them down. the guy who was laying next to me saw what i was doing and was getting ready to shot until he saw one of mine heading right at him. it ended up landing at his feet. I asked him why he never shot and he was like i saw that goose coming at me and so i went into the self deffense mode he said that he was actully pretty scared.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have had geese both dead and cripples land in our layout blinds several times
My 1 partner got several broken ribs from a dead goose hitting him years ago

Last year while duck hunting
A single mallard was flying right at the blind about 2' off the water
As I was the only one to see it
I stood up and shot it as it started to climb
Well........ it crashed throug the brush in the front of the blind
Knocking over the stove
Spilling the eggs and coffee
Almost setting the blind on fire

John
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a woodie fly about about ten feet directly over the top of me hunting the river one morning. I put one right in his chest and blew a decent sized hole in him, which in return put some blood on my face and he landed in arms length behind the boat. Closest thing I've had to no retrieval work and already skinned for the table.