Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 side arm for bear hunting???? >

side arm for bear hunting????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

side arm for bear hunting????

Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default side arm for bear hunting????

Is it nesiccary to carry a back up we will call it while bear hunting with a bow. If so will 3 1/2 00buck work to stop a very angry bear. thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Default RE: side arm for bear hunting????

Depends on the bear... If it's one of ours, only if you're extremely lucky. While a shotgun has a lot of potential "stopping power", buckshot doesn't. Put it in a single projectile (slug) and hope for the best or even better, count on a big bore jacketed rifle bullet that can penetrate the vitals through heavy bone. I carry a .44 mag. snub nose S&W 629 while I'm bowhunting but I have no illusions about its meager abilities. It's not going to stop a brown bear in it's tracks, no matter what it's loaded with, but it's better than beating on him with a stick. Problem with any "back-up" weapon is that you've got to have time to put it into use and anyone that's ever been charged or mauled by a bear will tell you, there just isn't time unless you've got it out and at the ready when trouble occurs.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM

You had better check your state regulations first. Here in Wyoming it is illegal to carry a firearm while archery hunting. If it is legal in your area, use slugs instead of buckshot. I have heard they work the best.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I always have a backup with me whether I'm bear hunting or bear baiting. When I'm baiting it's a 12 ga. with slugs. When I'm hunting with a bow it's a 44 mag. I've had one bear get ahold of me and that will never happen again (I hope)!!! As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between a black, brown or grizzly, once you're down is, 2, 4 or 8 bites to finish you. And yeah, you better check where you're hunting and see if a firearm is legal while you are bow hunting.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:21 PM

I carry a S&W 500.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned

Don't know where you are hunting. Can't have handguns in Canada so that is not an option there. I would take slugs in a shotgun over buckshot. Myself, if I am in America and hunting regardless of the law I would have a handgun on me. My wife and I just went bowhunting last year in CO on a selfguided elk hunt in the wilderness. I carried a Ruger Alaskan and my wife carried her Springfield XD 9mm. Didn't ask the DNR if it was legal and didn't care. Better have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

mac, I know that you are here in Idaho, yes it is legal to carry a firearm during an archery only season as long as you don't use it to finish your animal off. For the spring bear season however it is an any weapon season. You can finish the animal off with the pistol if you choose, but will keep you out of pope and young. It is a good idea to carry a sidearm anymore. We have alot of predators including the new flea bags that are known to come in also. I wouldn't recommend shooting one of those flea bags, but it is nice to be able to protect yourself if the need arrises. I have my pistol at close reach at all times, I set up a ground blind 20 yards from the bait, I have had bears at 3 feet with only a peice of cloth separating us. It is nice to have a little insurance. Good luck.......
Old 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

while the rare hunter gets mauled by a wounded brown or grizzly bear, I can't find a single example of a wounded blackbear ever harming a hunter.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very true. While there is always a chance of any animal attacking a humane when wounded or cornered, Its rare and even the biggest bears will usually try to escape rather than attack a humane. Black bears will attack when wounded. The outfitter that I use in Canada have been in that boat a few times. He carries the 12 Ga with slugs. I don't bow hunt but if I did and it was legal, I would carry a 480 or 44 Mag revolver. An expert bow hunter may not need or want a backup. A friend of mine that bow hunts carries a 45 LC.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a choice between either a .41 Mag or a .454 Casull

Quick Reply: side arm for bear hunting????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.