Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 side arm for bear hunting???? >

side arm for bear hunting????

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

side arm for bear hunting????

Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default RE: side arm for bear hunting????

ORIGINAL: tangozulu

while the rare hunter gets mauled by a wounded brown or grizzly bear, I can't find a single example of a wounded blackbear ever harming a hunter.
I don't know about the wounded part but your chances of getting attacked by a black bear are real.Most of us hunt bears out of treestands which keep the hunter in a safer place during the hunt. http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks.shtml
Old 05-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Very true. We hunt from tree stands as well. I have been in on a couple search parties looking for youngsters killed and drug off by Black Bears.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:34 PM

I pack a 870 express 12 gauge with 3" slugs. I've never need it, but have used a 45-70, and a .243 to put down wounded animals.

Kirby
Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never carried a pistol while bowhunting. Until last year. I always read stories about things that happened to OTHER people. I do ALOT of elk hunting in the back country. The area that I hunt is a controlled bear unit. Meaning that there is bears around every corner up there. I killed a bull and had it in the creek. I was laying in my sleeping bag trying to rest until morning to pack the bull out. Just as I started to go to sleep, the bushes next to me bagan to move and out walked an old sow, and was standing not 10 feet from me. I jumped out of the bag and grabbed my bow as did the guy that I was hunting with who, fortunately had a tag and could shoot rather well. He ended up shooting the bear in his underwear standing on his sleeping bag. The very next night I was at the gun shop buying a 44 magnum for future hunts. Also, there have been many reports of wolves coming in to guys elk calls. My brother in law was surrounded by them. He also hunts a controlled bear area, and the bears will come in to calf calls also. He too now carries a pistol. We don't want to and will not become the OTHER guy. Even hard core bowhunters( when legal) carry a pistol for protection. I know that I want to live to hunt another day.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

I never carried a pistol while bowhunting. Until last year. I always read stories about things that happened to OTHER people. I do ALOT of elk hunting in the back country. The area that I hunt is a controlled bear unit. Meaning that there is bears around every corner up there. I killed a bull and had it in the creek. I was laying in my sleeping bag trying to rest until morning to pack the bull out. Just as I started to go to sleep, the bushes next to me bagan to move and out walked an old sow, and was standing not 10 feet from me. I jumped out of the bag and grabbed my bow as did the guy that I was hunting with who, fortunately had a tag and could shoot rather well. He ended up shooting the bear in his underwear standing on his sleeping bag. The very next night I was at the gun shop buying a 44 magnum for future hunts. Also, there have been many reports of wolves coming in to guys elk calls. My brother in law was surrounded by them. He also hunts a controlled bear area, and the bears will come in to calf calls also. He too now carries a pistol. We don't want to and will not become the OTHER guy. Even hard core bowhunters( when legal) carry a pistol for protection. I know that I want to live to hunt another day.
Quite a story on the bowkilled bear by your friend. Quite a memory for you guys.I personally carry when in the wilderness for two legged vermin. I have a wife to protect and that is why we don't care if it is legal or not.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live and hunt in black bear and griz country and have had several encounters with blackies with cubs, not a good situation to be in. I've seen grizzlies off in the distance and from my vehicle but I never had an actual encounter with a griz, or I wouldn't be here if I had. A griz has a personal space of 100-150 yards, meaning that your a threat and the griz will eliminate any threat. I pack a pistol at all times and its more of a self confidence builder than anything. I also carry bear spray which has been proven to be more effective than a pistol. Some people watch to much Hollywood but most often your not going to have a chance to make a lethal shot and stop a charging bear with its adredilian flowing and it has one thing in mindand that is to eliminate the threat. It happens so fast, your not going to have a chance to make a rational decision and in that split moment its on top of you. Your dealing with something that is 5 times heavier than you are and twice as tall. It first takes a swipe at you with its paw to be followed up by its jaw. Most grizzlies don't eat people(rarely) after they kill them, unlike a black bear, which usually consumes its victim,more deaths are actually attributed to black bears because there are more of them.
There is a lot of difference between an alaskian brown bears behavior than that of an actual mountain grizzly trying to put fat on for the winter.
I suggest pack a pistol, but have your bear spray ready also.

Bobby
Old 05-24-2006, 01:23 PM

I carry 357mag with fmj any time I am in mountains.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:58 AM

I've had one bear get ahold of me and that will never happen again (I hope)!!! As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between a black, brown or grizzly, once you're down is, 2, 4 or 8 bites to finish you.
Ahhh Say WHAT?? Really. You want to elaborate??
Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a side arm when bow hunting,I carry a S&W 41 mag or my Ruger 44 mag.I to hunt the cross over area's here in Montana,whether it's the Bob or the Gallitan it don't matter.I also carry one for cat's and meth burners in the mountains.I don't so much carry it to stop a bear,but while it's dragging my carcass around I hope to get a shot.A pistol is a poor excuse to stop a bear,and about the only time is when it's so close,well you might as well hold it in your hands and just befor it plows you over pull the trigger.
I have had 3 bear encounters on bluff's,all three with in a day of each other, it scares the life outa ya.I no longer hunt that area,and a year later a man was mauled and killed in the same area.
BBJ

Old 06-02-2006, 03:28 PM

Daily street wear dictates a compact 9mm. On scouting and August bear hunts, that is upgraded to a S&W 629 44 Mag. Posession of any firearm and an archery tag during archery season is (illegally) prohibited, so I'm not saying what (or if) I carry then!

-- FLIX

Quick Reply: side arm for bear hunting????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.