Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Going Elk hunting-  need advice on camo clothes >

Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Old 03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Don't forget your hat needs to be orange also...........
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

13MWZ are Wrangler blue jeans,if you ever chased cowgirls around you would know that.

I wear jeans most of the time depending on the weather,and if the weather gets cold pull a pair of woolies over them.I would not worry about camo for a Rifle hunt.I wear a camo water proof jacket and layer my clothing so whenI over heat I can take my coat off,and wear my wool shirt.
Dress in layers for the weather,if the weather is in the 30-40 degrees you can dress comfortably with a light pair of long johns,pants,tee-shirt,long john top,wool shirt,coat and orange vest.Get a good hat,gloves socks and a very well broke in pair of boots,basicaly buy them now and were them every daytill June.
BBJ
Old 03-27-2006, 11:12 AM

I am not sure of the requirements for the second rifle hunt??? Would not hurt to call and check. (303) 297-1192. When we arrived in Rifle the first day there was some guy who had driven across country with his buddies expecting to buy an over the counter tag and it was a draw only. I'll never forget the look on his face!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:09 PM

FYI, I just checked the Colo regs and the "2nd season" is from 10/21 - 29, not the 19th. Just so's you know. I can't see any advantage to putting in for a draw in those units.
Looks like you are hunting either unit 61 or 62.Lots of good advice above, not going to rehash. BUT! the most imortant advice was to dress in layers! October in the mountains can provide snow or heavy frost at dawn, and sun screen weather by early afternoon. Some equiptment Idon't go without:
A big gun (.300 WM is my pic), and practice long shots (200 yards +).A game cart &/or a backpack frame (for getting the critter out of the woods, assuming you are successfull). Lightweight waterproof boots, more like hiking boots than hunting boots. First aid kit. Good sharp knives and a small game saw called a Wyoming saw. Slices right through the breast plate and bones for quartering. Remember, a 1/4 Elk can weigh as much as one of your Texas whitetails.
One thing you NEVER want to bring or wear, are any outter clothing like Carhart's! That brown color can make you look exactly like an Elk!
As far as the hunter orange deal:
"It is unlawful to not wear at least 500 square inches of solid (camouflage orange is not legal; mesh garments are legal, but not recommended) daylight FLUORESCENT ORANGE material in an outer garment above the waist, part of which must be a hat or head covering visible from all directions while hunting deer, elk or antelope during any muzzleloading rifle or rifle seasons. BOW HUNTERS ARE NOT REQUIRED TO WEAR ORANGE DURING THE ARCHERY ONLY SEASONS."[/align]Good luck![/align]
Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duh, thanks bareback. I asked my wife, and she knew what it meant!

I think it is funny. There was a famous elk hunting advertizing a certain type of camo/goretex jacket and pants for sale in Cabelas. In the picture above the garment pictures/pricing, they had a picture of him with a big bull elk. He was wearing a plaid shirt and blue jeans!!!

I wrote him and told him if he really was behind the clothes, he might want to at least take a picture of himself in the jacket pants for the next ad. The next year, there he was in the advertized clothes, but he was just standing up with the clothes, no elk picture!

That said, since there is some evidence that deer/elk can see blue, I usually wear black jeans hunting.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

See what txhunter58said above. Sage advice. Don't worry about camo. Its cool and sylin' and all, but really not necessary. Don't let the animal catch you moving, stay downwind, wear something that will break up your shape. Orange vest and hat would be better than a full jacket or coveralls. I wear camo just because, but got in to as many animals bowhunting in the day with brown wool slacks and a plaid shirt or jacket as with camos.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Spike

I'm going to CO this fall for my first Elk hunt, with my buddy (his first time too). We are going with his dad and brother, who hunt the same spot year after year, it's in area (zone, whatever) 43, the 4th week. I believe it's nov 15th to 19th. I entered the draw for an either sex, hopefully I have good luck.

We don't have 10,000' elevation here in WV, the highest I can hike, etc., on is about 3000 or so, so I'm a little concerned about the elevation, but we are going out a few days early, hopefully that will help a little.

As for clothes, I'm layering up with good wicking base underwear and lots of fleece and wool, with no cotton even making the trip, and a good durable outer layer jacket and pants, like carhart or something, most likely.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:17 AM

10,000 feet can kick you in the ass. Especially haulin an elk out. It is very rare, but there is an illness some people get called altitude sickness. Going out early will certainly help aclimate you. Working out with cardio and good wind exercises is very helpfull. I've guided here in Wyoming for a while and habe never seen a client get altitude sickness, but worth mentioning.