Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Who uses blinds or just camo clothes? >

Who uses blinds or just camo clothes?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who uses blinds or just camo clothes?

Old 01-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Who uses blinds or just camo clothes?

I cant decide to use a portable blind or not. What do you all use or recommend.
If you use a blind what one is the fastest to set up. Let me know waht you all do...
thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-19-2004, 10:31 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Who uses blinds or just camo clothes?

I use several and then at times I rely on my camo.

A blind will:

Allow more movement
You would be surpirsed what you can get away with. In full canopy blinds you just have to be careful what U stick out the window! In the half rag blind your upper body is exposed while your lower body is not. You can call move your legs, etc. I have evened practiced bringing a g un to should sevral times on birds I do NOT plan to shoot. They have not flinched. You just need to key off thier bidy language and make calculated moves.

Full canopy blinds are hard to relocate. Half rag blinds are not. I have 4 blinds I set-up if I am in an area with wide open spaces that are tuff to run & gun in.

I even have one collaspable rag blind that fits in my big back pocket of my vest.

I also use chairs in these blinds. For the half rag blinds I use a sand beach chair I just painted flat black. That wih a camoed boat cushion will allow me to sit motionless hours on end. Make sure you stay away from the aluminum ones and use only steel. I am a big guy and aluminum chairs don't stand up to my big body abuse!

But if you need to move from a blind and chase then I trust my camo!

JW!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:34 AM

The Doghouse is, IMHO, fantastic. It takes almost no time to set up, if you're in an enormous hurry, because all you need to do is pull it out, let the steel circles open and you're set. If it is windy, you might decide to stake it down, and that adds time, but I don't think you can beat it for light weight, ease to set up, plus, of course, you also stay dri(er) in rainy weather.

When I hunt alone in good weather, I usually go without any blind, and then I hunt in camo clothes, plus gloves and a facemask.

I also have a ground umbrella blind and some camo on stakes that I use from time to time, especially if I am not alone, but I still think the Doghouse is #1 for me for the times I use a blind, because I am able to hunt from it in bad weather.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:44 PM

Most of the time I just go with full camo and sit as still as possible.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use head-to-toe camo and an Ameristep Jackehouse blind. It's more a screen than a pop-up blind, so I have free range of movement with the shotgun.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:00 PM

I have an Ameristep Doghouse blind but it's only purpose is for shelter during rainy mornings. The rest of the time, I'll be camoed up and on the move!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:54 PM

The fold up half blinds work well from Hunters Specialties. You can fold and store in the rear of your vest and unfold in about 30 seconds. Lets you get away with movement for shooting or calling with slate/box. Very effective in early season when almost no foilage is on.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

usually just camo with the gun. but this year i am going to use the blind b/c i am hunting with the bow.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Full camo most of the time. I do carry a Porta Roof from BuckWing that is light weight and quick to set up. Where I hunt usually has some thick underbrush I can fade into, so I don't use it much, but it has worked well when I did.

Quick Reply: Who uses blinds or just camo clothes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.