Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Going Elk hunting-  need advice on camo clothes >

Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Old 03-26-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Planning to go Elk hunting inCO this fall for the first time. Any advice on camo clothing colors, brands, models????

I don't want to get clothes that are too bulky and hot (if I'm going to be running up and down mountains), but I don't want to freeze at higher altitudes than I'm used to either. Suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Default RE: Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

cam,

[If you are going after archery elk, then I'll leave it to the archer's to fill you in on camo.]
If you are going after high power rifle elk, especially on public land, then IMHO it is a whole different story....

** Your first elk hunt will be expensive, just is, so put your "new camo" dollars into something else.... hunter orange is your (cheap) friend!
** If you have warm clothes that keep you happy in the duck blind or for pheasants or for deer while on stand, then use them instead.

Places to make sure you have covered (and perhaps put your camo money into...) [this list could go on forever, but....]

** Fair size back pack (w/hip belt)that can hold all your clothes when you are steamed up plus food, water, and overnight kit.
** Camel back and auxillary water reservoir and a water filter of some sort. Not drinking enough water can end your hunt early [as in day two you are too sick to hunt]. You wanna be peeing like a race horse. Force it. Drink lots. That requires lots of..... water.
** If you do traditional field dressing get something heavy duty for spliting the sternum and the pelvis. (LITE weight hatchet) (also take a field sharpener, the two little ceramicchris-crossrods in a plastic handle for ~$10 is super)
** $20-$30of high quality game bags (6: one each quarter, one backstraps & tenderloins, one for miscelaneous [rib carvings etc.]) with HEAVY cordage (90-100 pound load) so you can hang it in the shade of a tree.
** Resole your cold weather "snow" boots if they dont still have their "sharp" edge for traction --- it's typically slopey country and if it snows is is slick slopey country. Warm weather, then light is key and not necessarily "hunting boots."
** First Aid, if no kit then just one thing --- something that canhandle asignificant cut. Your first time field dressing an elk is rife with potential, be careful. (part roll of duct tape). The two most common hunting injuries in the Craig Colorado emergency room is "cut above eye" and "cut to left hand".
** Basic GPS and compass

There you go, everything but camo, but I wouldn't trade the above for camo on a high power hunt. If you just gotta have it and have the budget then, IMHO"Predator" --- nicely in tune to Colorado elk woods.
BTW, application deadline is April 4, 2006.... typically better than over the counter IMHO.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fiil us in on when you will be hunting. A few weeks can make a HUGE difference.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hi CMC:

You really left ALOT to the imagination in answering your question. Knowing your method of hunting,particular season, and GMU would make things easier.

In any event, weather will change in a hurry, I have hunted the 1st seasonwith temps below zeroand hunted the six weeks later in shorts.

I'd say forget high dollar camo altogether, unless stick-flipping. Spend some of that money on the Cabelas Alaskan -30 degree bag for $99. The guys I know that have been tagging out early for 20 years all wear 13MWZs.

I love to hear stories of guys maxing their credit cards to buy top dollar camoand then cover itup with some blaze orange.

If you could provide more detail of your hunt plan, that would be helpful.

CE

Old 03-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have to wear blaze orange,camo color is not a big issue.I would invest in a good goretex shell such as the mt050 from cabellas to keep you dry and break the wind while still being light in weight.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coloraodelk: What are 13MWZ's?

As far as the question at hand. If you are able to use camo only (archery only), then don't buy into the marketing ploy that says you have to have the newest "high tech" camo. As far as a pattarn, buy whatever is on sale. I bought "outfitters camo" last year for my elk bowhunt. However, I got it in Cablesas microtex clothing.

To stay warm in the mountains, you layer. And READ MY LIPS: The most important layer for staying warm is long johns. You MUST have quality WICKING long johns. Do not think warmth in long johns, think WICKING! The job of long johns is not to keep you warm, it is to wick the sweat you produce when hiking up and down the mountain. I don't care if it is 0 degrees, when you walk a mile up hill, you will sweat. If you wear cotton long johns, you will literally freeze. I have patagonia capilene, but there are a number of good ones out there today. Don't skimp!

I have:

1) Good long johns
2) Good, well broken in waterproofboots (90% of the time I wear my uninsulated boots). I take a second pair with insulation
3) layering layers (fleece, thinsulate layers, down vest, etc.)
4) lightweight, packable goretex type raingear.
5) A quality sleeping bag, and a thermarest type pad.

If you skimp on any of these items, you will be sorry. Cold nights = misery. Cold,wet, blistered feet = misery.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Cam, Buddy what they are telling you is the truth!!! I wish three years ago someone would had told me the same.We went toGMU 22 west of Meeker. Yeah I probably invested 400 dollars in camo only to cover it up.I also took down a 5X6 on opening morning only to realize I was a unprepared ROOKIE.We had taken the animal and was prepared to field dress him and drag him out like a whitetail. Heck I didn't even have a horse or ATV. Good thing my truck was only about 3/4 mile away or I would have died. It took us about 9 hours to quarter this brute with two small knives and a chopping axe.

Well after all of that mess we were so tired my best friend threw away a 500 dollar bull tag just to get out of there. We now have worked up enough courage to attempt fate one more time. We are headed back this Oct (HOPEFULLY) applications are in checks have cleared. We are taken two 4WD ATVs and a whole bunch of lessons learned for one more time.

One other note you may need to know. ELK HUNTING IS ADDICTIVE and Colorado is probably the most beautiful state I have ever seen.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM

If you're going to be hunting with rifles I'd suggest buying a blaze orange hunting vest that has some sort of camo pattern, like Seclusion 3D Blaze. It will do a lot better job of breaking up your outline than plain blaze orange. For the rest of your clothing, follow the advice of wearing moisture-wicking long underwear, and be sure to layer instead of wearing one big parka. Don't worry too much about buying the latest and greatest camo if you're rifle hunting either, because you should be staying out of the elks' vision as much as possible anyways. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blaze camo is notlegal in Colorado. Must be solid blaze orange in any gun season. Sorry.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:45 AM

I appreciate everyone's help so far- I've learned a lot.

Sorry I didn't mention location/date! Didn't even think about it (TX climate is generally the same across the state!)

I'll be going to Uncompahgre National Forest starting Oct 19.

Thanks!

p.s. My buddy told me just to get a tag over the counter. Am I better off applying for one before Apr. 4??

Quick Reply: Going Elk hunting- need advice on camo clothes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.