Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences >

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM

Default RE: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

I guess i'll try putting in my 2 cents. 338 win magum with 250 partitions
sandy
Old 03-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

You don't need to be big and tough to shoot a 300 Mag. A friend of mine who is a gal about 5'5 and all of 110 lbs, hunts every other year in Africa and shoots plains game with her 270 and the bigger stuff with her husbands 416 Remington Mag. Her husband is a big guy but he is bothered much more by the recoil than she is. She is light and I guess she rolls with the punch better than he does. She also shoots the 375 H&H quite a bit. Their 416 is a Dakota rifle and is very light weigh with just a 2x7 Leupold scope on it. Thier 375 though is a very heavy old Winchester Model 70. That one just has a reciever sight.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

JamesB, I have heard a saying that as long as you can bend like a willow in the wind you can shoot any gun no matter the size. I think that is true up to a point but when shootinglarge magmums 30 cal and over on up to.416 or .460 WBYand bigger size does matter, well at least I think it does.[8D] You still have to bend like a willow in the wind, but having some mass behind the gun has to help. Not saying a smaller frame woman orteenage cant take the recoil and shoot accurate, because they sure can. I have not yet got to shoota big mag.40 caliber or over. I have shoot a .378 WBY and being honest it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. I think recoil is somewhat in the mind of the shooter, if you make yourself believe that its going to kick then yes it will kick. Same goes the other way.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 PM

Three interesting observations from the above:

(1) "....You don't need to be big and tough to shoot a 300 Mag...." [I agree.]

(2) Some/many smallindividualsmay nothave as big a problem with magnum rifles as has beenuniversally advertised as of late. [I agree, the mag's aren't the "boogie man" they're made out to be.]

(3) To IdahoElkInstructor's credit, I'm betting there aredarn few American 16 year old males with the mental cojones toset asidetheir 270 and then go out andpick upa 300 Weatherby Magnumso they canput a better slam on elk.

My twin sonslatched ontomy two 338WinMags at age 19 afterhaving miserable experience elk hunting the year before and they love'em. I think the "300 Weatherby at 16" storyis a darned good one! We had a 100 pound, 14 year old girl get her elk with a 30-06 two years ago. All were taught with a "you can do this, it ain't no big deal" approach.

IMHO, the main problem is that American parents, partlyas astroke to theirown ego, strut how "that rifle is gonna kick the crap out of ya!"or they "sucker punch" the kid with a heavy round and no instruction how to handle the rifle so they can have a good laugh and then "show the kidhow its really done" --- wuff!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:40 PM

What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?

5 - 270 Winchester
8 - 30-06 Springfield
1 - 270 Winchester Short Magnum
8 - 7mm Remington Magnum
1 - 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 300 Winchester Short Magnum
4 - 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
3 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
2 - 30-378 WeatherbyMagnum
7 -338 Winchester Magnum
2 - 338 Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
2 - 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

[Stick Flippers: 2]
[Smoke Poles:2]

Old 04-03-2006, 04:00 PM

300 win mag. 180gr X-bullet. The wife preferrs this set up also.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:42 PM

NV Mike,
Good for your wife! We had a thread here a short time ago involving a woman looking to choose between a 7mmRemMag or 300WinMag and I was surprised how much time was spent trying to talk her out of both! I'd love to give you both credit, but I only can count on a "one vote per poster" basis. Thanks for your input!
================================================== ==

What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?

5 - 270 Winchester
8 - 30-06 Springfield
1 - 270 Winchester Short Magnum
8 - 7mm Remington Magnum
1 - 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 300 Winchester Short Magnum
5 - 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
3 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
2 - 30-378 WeatherbyMagnum
7 -338 Winchester Magnum
2 - 338 Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
2 - 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

[Stick Flippers: 2]
[Smoke Poles:2]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:14 AM

First thing this was a good post and it showed a lot of things that can be taken a lot of ways, but you did get good info out there for the readers.
The biggest thing that I see is that if you wanted a dedicated elk cal. you would want to look at a 30 cal or larger.
the Key word is dedicated. As you know I still have no problem taking elk with a 270 and have done it many times. The 270 win is an all around gun that can be used for all North American game (It has been used on brown bear but I do not advise it).
I have a real problem with 1st time elk hunter being told that thier 270, 257, 243,ectcann't kill an elk. they can, will, and have.
As for where a small framed person can handle the recoil from a 30 cal or better, If they can handle it great, but if they cann't why should the be forced to hunt with a gun they can't shoot.
shot placement is what it is all about.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 PM

Let me ask a question of everyone:

How many times can you say that you felt the recoil when shooting at game? I never do. Maybe its adrenaline or something but I never feel it. Also, My ears never ring when shooting at game. I wear ear protection when target shooting etc and on the occasions that I've forgot to put on my muffs my ears rang like crazy. Now when I'm hunting I never wear ear protection, never have. I've never had my ears ring after shooting at game. i was just wondering if anyone else has these same experiences.

My point is this: It might hurt a little on the range but that doesn't mean anything in the field. My 120 lbs 14 year old can shoot a 300 win mag off the bench and shoot it well. After about 5 rounds he says that his shoulder is tender, but in the field it should only take one.

I wonder how many of the Anti Magnum posters are just scared. Let me tellyou this also: A 300 win magfitted with a LimbSaver recoil pad has little if any more recoil than a 270 (without the pad obviously). I suggest them all the time for the "recoil sensitive". Heck, I even have one on my 338. Now its certainly not a pleasure to shoot like a 223, or 22 hornet, or 221 firebal but it is definately do-able.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 PM

I have noticed the same thing. I've never minded the recoil from my magnum on the range to begin with, but out in the field I don't feel a thing when I'm shooting and my ears never hurt. I hear the blast and the thwap of the bullet hitting the animal, but thats about it. I think you are correct that some people are in fact a little wary of the kick and blast of magnums because of people who go shoot big guns then brag to their buddies about what a hard kicker it was in an attempt to impress. But I believe there are also a good number of people who think magnums are overkill and are not necessary. After all, people have been killing big game animals for decades with bows that shoot only 200 some fps, and if you are not a skilled enough hunter to get close enough to an animal to kill it with a small caliber rifle, then you're barely a step above a city slicker. So whether you like magnums or not all depends on how you percieve them and how you like to hunt.

Quick Reply: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.