HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 PM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Three interesting observations from the above:

(1) "....You don't need to be big and tough to shoot a 300 Mag...." [I agree.]

(2) Some/many smallindividualsmay nothave as big a problem with magnum rifles as has beenuniversally advertised as of late. [I agree, the mag's aren't the "boogie man" they're made out to be.]

(3) To IdahoElkInstructor's credit, I'm betting there aredarn few American 16 year old males with the mental cojones toset asidetheir 270 and then go out andpick upa 300 Weatherby Magnumso they canput a better slam on elk.

My twin sonslatched ontomy two 338WinMags at age 19 afterhaving miserable experience elk hunting the year before and they love'em. I think the "300 Weatherby at 16" storyis a darned good one! We had a 100 pound, 14 year old girl get her elk with a 30-06 two years ago. All were taught with a "you can do this, it ain't no big deal" approach.

IMHO, the main problem is that American parents, partlyas astroke to theirown ego, strut how "that rifle is gonna kick the crap out of ya!"or they "sucker punch" the kid with a heavy round and no instruction how to handle the rifle so they can have a good laugh and then "show the kidhow its really done" --- wuff!