Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences >

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Old 03-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

I am kind of surprised that the .270 winchester did as good as it did in this poll. Heck it's in third place. Not too bad for a deer cartridge.
I don't look at it as the 270 being in third place. I look at is more as bigger guns = 36 270 = 6
Old 03-24-2006, 06:58 AM

txhunter58,
That is kinda how I see it; however, statistics aside, it is still a free country, so people will do what they do.
Any elk hunters out therethat have actually harvested elkthat are just out there sitting on the fence?
================================================== ==

What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?

5 - 270 Winchester
8 - 30-06 Springfield
1 - 270 Winchester Short Magnum
7 - 7mm Remington Magnum
1 - 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 300 Winchester Short Magnum
3 - 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
2 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
2 - 30-378 WeatherbyMagnum
5 -338 Winchester Magnum
2 - 338 Remington Ultra Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
2 - 375 Holland & Holland Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

[Stick Flippers: 2]
[Smoke Poles:2]
Old 03-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

I've used my .300 Win. Mag. to kill 11 of my Elk. I love it and it hits like a tank.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM

338 WM
Ihave used smaller but Im much more comfortble with the 338.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 7mm Rem mag for me.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I am not using a stick flipper I have to say my .300 RUM. Out of 12 elk kills 5 are with stick flippers, 7 are rifle kills. Of that seven one was a .270 kill (big mistake), one 7 Mag kill, it performed OK but not that overall inpressive. Three kill were from a .300 WBY, and I have two kills from my .300 RUM now.When I owned my .270 I was a young teen and I didn't know a thing about quality bullets. I was using factory ammo with 130 core locks. I know now that is not and never has been a good elk load. I also thought that because the .270 was a flat shooter it could reach out theirand nock a elk on its butt. I was told this of course by several people who I assumed knew it all about elk and elk hunting. My first elk a spike bull was about 450 yards away, and it took 5 shots from my .270 to make him lay down. I fired 7 times and hit him 5 times,of the 5 hits4 were excellent heart and lung vital shots. The 5th hit waslow and broke his leg below his knee and that is when he decided to lay down. Up to that point I didn't know I had hit him at all.After hiking accross the canyon to get to him, he saw me approaching and at 40 yards away he still had enough stregth to stand up. I shot my 8th shot overall and broke his neck killing him at once. Looking back I know I made several mistakes including shooting long range, and using inproper bullets. But I was 13 and was following the advice of those who I trusted. Over time I have formed my own opinions and knowledge. I have to agree with ELKampMaster that I want to anchor a elk where it stands when using a rifle. In all my elk hunting including archery, I have lost one and only one elk so far and it was a small bull that I hit with my.270 at age 15 during a snow storm at about 200 yards.The next year I upgraded to a .300 WBY and I have never regretted that decision. If neededIwould use a .270 again but it would be loaded with premium bullets, the shots would be limited to 300 yards overall. And I would not try anything but a good vital broadside shot. Being honest if a bull of a lifetime walked out at 500 yards away with a less than perfect angle, and their was10 minutes of shooting light left on the last day of the hunt, I would not want to say dang thats too bad, well maybe some other time! I know that is why when I rifle hunt I will use a gun such as a .300 RUM that could take that shot and drop the bull in its tracks. Good luck everyone and make sure to follow upwith each and every shot no matter what you are using, be it rifle, blackpowder or archery. Take care Jason
Old 03-24-2006, 12:37 PM

Jason,similar toyourself, been there, mostly seen that! [:'(]
[And I might add, there is little explaining it with a "paper & numbers" ballistics chart thinking that is so prevalent on the Internet.]
A300 Weatherby at age 16.... that is what I call being a"non-typical" American hunter --- good for you!
That is "kicking your hardware up a notch!"
Old 03-24-2006, 07:03 PM

What is your current favorite elk cartridge that you personally have actually used to take elk?

5 - 270 Winchester
8 - 30-06 Springfield
8 - 7mm Remington Magnum
4 - 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
3 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
6 -338 Winchester Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ElkampMaster, yes that is a bit young for such a big boot, but then again I am a big guy 6'3" and my weight is around 250, well being honest I'am about 260-265 and would like to trim down a bit to about 240[8D]. I have about the same attitude when it comes to archery equipment I like a heavy arrow with a well built sharp broadhead and a 70 to 75 pound bow. I don't like shooting over 40 yards and perfer under 20. When it comes to rifles I like a fast, but heavy andhard hitting wellconstructed bullet for elk. I don't feel that the .270 fits those reqirments. I agree that it can be made to work, but why limit yourself when there are better choices. I guess if you want tochallenge yourslefthen go ahead and pick up a bow and hunt them in the rut when they are screaming, nothing gets a heart beating faster that a bugle of a bull up close. But if a person's heart is set on shooting a .270 then go with the best bullets that you can afford, and I would also use the 140 grain or better yet the150 grainers and keep the shots within reason for that caliber. Anyway back on subject I don't remember what I weighed when I was 16 but I was still big then. The football coach wanted me to play DE so bad, but I just couldn't give up my saturdays or a game or two and miss out on elk hunting! I have only missed a elk season because I was serving a mission for my church. But then again in my 18 seasons of hunting elk I have been lucky enough to hunt the entire month of september (archery season) twice so far. And I average nothing less than 2 full weeks per year. If you added up the days I also go out to help friends and family fill thier elk tags, I bet I could say I spend at least 30 to 40 days in the woods chasing elk with different weapons per year. That all equals experience and knowledge that can't be placed on a chart, and argued about, either you have it oryou don't.For the record, I am not saying I'm an expert, and being honest I feel that few if anyare experts. I am friends with many call manufactures and their pro staffs and other experts so labeled by the hunting community.They are great guys and they doknow a lot but if you get them one and one and their being honest, even they will say they don't know it all when it comes to elk and elk hunting.Ithink it doesn't matterwho you are or how much experience you have, if you are humble, honest, hard working, open minded and willing to learn. I promise you that you will learn something each and every year from the elk themselves. They after all are the "experts" on elk and they are the perfect teachers. I do feel that a lot can be leaned from reading books, magizines and posts on this and other hunting sites. Also going to seminarsgiven by human expertsis an excellent way to learn too, butall togetherit'snothing compared to being there first hand and learning from the elk themselves. So I understandyou ELKampMaster, when you say I want your opinion on a actual hunting/killing expreience and not some made up chart that says my weapon will kill an elk just fine. I hope they get my point and understand where I am trying to come from. Jason
Old 03-25-2006, 07:39 AM

5 - 270 Winchester
8 - 30-06 Springfield
8 - 7mm Remington Magnum
4 - 300 Winchester Magnum
1 - 300 Weatherby Magnum
3 - 300 Remington Ultra Magnum
6 -338 Winchester Magnum
1 - 340 Weatherby Magnum
1 - 358 Norma Magnum
1 - 416 Remington Magnum
---

Quick Reply: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.