Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Luck with calling mountain lion >

Luck with calling mountain lion

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Luck with calling mountain lion

Old 03-01-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Luck with calling mountain lion

Has anyone had any luck with calling mountain lion? If you have I would like to hear your story and what kind of techniques you used.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Luck with calling mountain lion

I've called in bear, coyote, and bobcat with a cottontail distress call. I havn't called in a lion yet, but have several friends who have called in lions in the spring while trying to call turkey with a hen yelp call. Also know of several incidents where lions have responded to elk cow calls in September.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Luck with calling mountain lion

Sort of....

A few years ago I was taking a break from work and went to my brother in laws place outside of Reno near a CA town called Nevada City.

I got up in a tree stand in the late afternoon with my distress call and started calling...nothing for a few minutes. Then I noticed the forest got really quiet. Then I heard a crunch....crunch...crunch....the footsteps were getting closer. I slowly turned in the direction of the sounds and paused for about twominutes. Then started calling again. This times the footsteps were coming faster. Then they stopped.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the cats tail twitching.

A few months before that the previous owners of the place were cleaning up prior to the sale. A young Rottie was on the deck sunning himself. The wife was in the kitchencleaning up some stuff when she noticed movement....a large lion ran up to the porch and snatched the dog then took off into the woods.