Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

bear bait stations

Old 02-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default bear bait stations

I'm startn to get ansy, and wanna get the bear bait areas loaded. I know i've got a bit of a wait to go.

so how does everyone bait for there bears?

I have 2 bait stations, started last year. I'm going to set up possibly 2 more sites.
first 2 station have bait barrels that I fill with dry dog food, oats, fry grease maple suryp and bread and icing sugar. Also wire a fresh Beaver to a tree.

the 2 new sites are just going to be beaver under log piles with fry grease slopped around pile.

hardest part of picking a site is to find trees big enough to put stands on

AL[/align]
Old 02-05-2006, 06:42 PM

Default RE: bear bait stations

Here is a link with a bunch of tips on bear baiting. Good luck! Rick

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10532
Old 02-06-2006, 08:45 AM

Default RE: bear bait stations

I bear hunt in minnesota, Wisconsin, Ontario, and Michigan. I usually bait with about 6 to 7 bait stations some on the same road some not. I always will put out a good variety of bait, some bears are picky as to what they eat. I always go to a local bread shop and buy there old bread that they are just going to though out. The bread comes in all kinds of varieties and they also have doughnuts and other hostess snack cakes there that they seel with the bread. I will buy a whole trunk load of that then take all the bread and cakes out of there wrappers and plae them in garbage bags so I dont have to deal with unwrapping them in the woods. Along with the bread and cakes I go to resturants and with permision pump out there grease they use. I will use this grease as a topping for the bread or other bait iput out there. I will sometimes buy these super large bags of dog food at a farm and fleet store the cheapest kind. I use popcorn i find that popcorn is cheap to pop and is real light to cary out in the woods and the bears love it (most bears that is). I use cookies, and a bunch of other baked and sweet goods. Sometimes I will buy old apples and usem them. Last year I used granola mixture, frosting, and big blocks of fudge i got from an outfitter. I will never use that again that was a mistake. I got lazy and thought i would just go buy thes barels of granola, boxes of fuge, and some frosting from the guy. I also bought some corn and mixed the frosting in that. I will never ever bait that way again do to no bears hitting any of my stations. Sometimes ill hang some meat in a tree. I always put out liquid smoke Its a very good atractant and coverscent.