Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plots and Bait Stations

Old 08-19-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Food Plots and Bait Stations

I own a small 5 acre tract of land and I am currently using a corn barrel to bait my stand. There is a fairly large heard of deer but they are not traveling through my area. All Im feeding right now is a bunch of sqirels and soom coons. What can I do to draw deer to my area? The woods are deep shadow through out the day being a thich stand of extreamily large poplars and sweetgums. Im thinking about planting a small food plot of Rape or mineral licks. But, Ive got to draw the deer to the for them to eat.....HMMMMMM what to do...Any sugestions? I ampretty much land locked so I cant movemy stand....Thanx
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 PM

Default RE: Food Plots and Bait Stations

the plot of minerals may help or try feeding a allstock mix instead of just plain corn. this is what I have in the feeder in this pic. Corn, Molasses, Oats or just buy some dried molasses and add to your corn. it'll sweeten it up.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

the plot of minerals may help or try feeding a allstock mix instead of just plain corn. this is what I have in the feeder in this pic. Corn, Molasses, Oats or just buy some dried molasses and add to your corn. it'll sweeten it up.
ditto, i was putting out corn for 3 months had not seen the first deer, fed a friend of mine horses once while he was on vacation, found out that deer love all grain sweet feed, i guess they can smell it better, there were deet showing up within the week
Old 08-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

SSgt, I buy Horse Sweet Feed, it has oats, corn, molasses, and minerals all mixed
together. Deer love it. If I were you, Iwould try to keep it about 50-75yds from
your stand location.

By the way, that seconddeersure is a good one!
Old 08-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Reb I agree with you ... sweet feed it a killer ..

DD

Old 08-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A small clearing and planting a small foodplot could do wonders for the small property. I would seriously think about what you could do to create an opening. Plus, this opening would create an effective "edge" that would be much better to hunt and give you a few different stand positions. Remember an effective "hunting plot" is only 1/4 to 3/4 of an acres yet it can produce some serious tonage of food depending on what crop you choose to plant.

Old 08-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also like to add that I beleive this mineral lick recipe should be on every property if you really want to provide your area deer with important vitimans that they need during antler growth and fawning. It has been proven that deer will travel for miles to hit a consistent mineral lick. Try this one and I promise you'll have great results next season.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

[/align]
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM

That is an excellent recipe Cornfed. Anybody can make a successful mineral lick considering how a bucks antlers are made 100% of calcium and phosphate. Salt, Sodium, and Phosphate = Bigger racks. I just take the earsy route and by blocks....
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think baiting is poaching. Thats just me, same as caged hunts.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think baiting is poaching.
its only poaching if it is illegal in the area your hunting, it is not my perferred method of hunting, and the baiting i do is strictly for the enjoyment of seeing deer and other wildlife.

hers a pic from last year of some of our pets

Quick Reply: Food Plots and Bait Stations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.