Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

deer meadow outfitters

Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Believe it or not, this type of thing is pretty common in TX. There is very, very little public land for hunting in TX, so people either have to own the land outright, pay for a lease, or go with outfitters. On many places, they are extremely protective of their big deer. They want you to take "management" bucks and does and leave the bigger bucks for wealthy hunters or to let them breed until they begin to decline.

I remember reading an article a couple of years ago where a guy refused to abide by the "ranch rules" and shot a monster. The land owner filed a lawsuit and won in court. The court said that despite the fact that the state had issued a license, the land owner had the right to dictate what he would allow to be shot on his private property. Just proves tha hunting in TX is a vastly different beast than hunting in your Wy or my CO.
I clearly see the difference and I've heard of this kind of deer killing (I won't call it hunting) before. The term "high fence" played a part in the story. I don't think I'd enjoy that stuff even if I could afford it.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
I clearly see the difference and I've heard of this kind of deer killing (I won't call it hunting) before. The term "high fence" played a part in the story. I don't think I'd enjoy that stuff even if I could afford it.
That makes 2 of us. The only time I've ever used a guide was when it was required by law. Unfortunately if you want to hunt Canada, you must hire a guide if you're not a Canadian citizen. Additionally, if you want to hunt Africa, you're going to use a PH of some sort.I did a little hunting for exotics once in TX, but I didn't use a guide. I had access to the ranch, a low fence free ranging outfit, and did the actual hunting on my own. It was a pretty good time but that is as close to the "high fence" TX thing as I want to get.

Other than that, I'll take my chances on my own. If I take game I'll do it my way. If I don't take game, it will be under the same circumstances. But, to each his own.

Last edited by flags; 11-17-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, the guide requirement thing has a number of absurd components to it. WY requires a guide to hunt wilderness areas if you are a nonresident. As a resident I can easily get a permit to guide a nonresident friend on wilderness areas but I can't charge for it unless I am a licensed guide/outfitter.
A good friend of mine moved to ND a few years ago from WY to take a job. He lived his whole life here and knows the wilderness areas as well as anyone but his residency is now ND so he can't hunt wilderness areas here without a guide.

Whatever.......
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Yeah, the guide requirement thing has a number of absurd components to it. WY requires a guide to hunt wilderness areas if you are a nonresident. As a resident I can easily get a permit to guide a nonresident friend on wilderness areas but I can't charge for it unless I am a licensed guide/outfitter.
A good friend of mine moved to ND a few years ago from WY to take a job. He lived his whole life here and knows the wilderness areas as well as anyone but his residency is now ND so he can't hunt wilderness areas here without a guide.

Whatever.......
Yeah, I really don't understand the whole guide in a wilderness area. I've done a fair amount of fishing in WY in wilderness areas but I can't hunt deer in the same place? Crazy.

I'd love to hunt Alaska but the things I want (grizzly/brown bear, muskox and Dall Sheep) would require a guide. You can do moose, caribou, black bear and Sitka Blacktail without a guide but not the things I'm interested in.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

But chances are, the guy in Texas knew he was supposed to shoot a "management" deer going in (for a lesser price) and got buck fever when the "big-un" walked out. Probably why he lost. That said, I don't agree with allowing land owners to charge "by the inch" on a publicly owned deer. That means it is not hunting, but grocery shopping.

As an interesting sidenote, all deer in Texas (even pen raised deer) are publicly owned. The people who raise deer had a "breeders" license to breed and "sell" them. However the deer have to be "released from captivity" before they can be shot.

Kind of hard to "pull the trigger" on an archery buck if your guide waves his arms
Old 11-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
But chances are, the guy in Texas knew he was supposed to shoot a "management" deer going in (for a lesser price) and got buck fever when the "big-un" walked out.
That's basically exactly what happened. They guy's defense was the state sold him a tag and the deer (as you noted) are owned by the state and not the landowner. So in his mind, a state license should have been good for any deer that was legal. He lost in court.

I merely used it as an example that guides refusing to allow clients to shoot a particular deer really isn't something new or rare.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why pay to hunt Texas, when you can come to Colorado, and hunt for nothing? (not counting tags)
Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Why pay to hunt Texas, when you can come to Colorado, and hunt for nothing? (not counting tags)
Because some people like to be driven to a stand, shoot a deer, then go back to the lodge for lunch and a drink or two while someone else dresses out their deer.

............... Or so I've heard
Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
The only hunting I've done in TX was on a ranch a buddy's father owned. I hunted blackbuck, aoudad and texas dahl sheep, pics are on my album. This was when no regular seasons were open and all it cost me was the generic license which if I remember was about $50 back then. No guides, we hunted on our own since they owned the spread. Exotics are not considered a game animal and can be hunted year round.

So, for me it was to experience something a little different and to spend time with a pretty good buddy. But, I would never pony up the $$$ they want to hunt trophy whitetails or mulies in TX. You get into some real serious cash when you do that. The hunt I went on was fun, but it isn't something I'd want to do a lot of. But, to each his own. Some guys get really into that sort of thing.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's fine, but he paid $5000, and didn't get to shoot.

I don't think i've spent $5000 for hunting in the last 20 years, and i've hunted every one of them.

Quick Reply: deer meadow outfitters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.