Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

RMEF and wolves

Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RMEF and wolves

I have heard several times that the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has donated money to wolf reintroduction. Is that true!?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: RMEF and wolves

I hope not!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:05 AM

The RMEF has maintained no position on the wolf issue. Their refusal to be outspoken against the reintroduction has angered a lot of people. Their recent construction of a 13 million dollar facility was not well recieved by many who felt the money was better spent elsewhere. Their magazine has become increasingly environmental leaning as well. Last year I dropped my membership for the first time since 1996. I'm not sure right now how I feel about the RMEF. While critical habitat is an important issue for the long term management of elk herds, limited access is also becoming a critical issue with management agencies. Urban sprawl and out of state money is locking up many areas once accessable to hunters. With the re-introduction of the wolf, and their expanding presence in the wild, combined with land lock ups, it appears that the wolf may become the primary elk management tool as opposed to hunters. Is it possible that the RMEF may one day find their usefulness has expired? I don't know, but somebody needs to start focusing on access, and coming up with solutions to this increasing problem. Nobody realizes that better then Montanabob and myself, who spent many hours classing hundreds of elk feeding on private, closed to all hunting property, owned by a out of state corporate CEO from Intel.[:'(]
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM

Thier previous management was prowolf. And if I was betting, they still are. When the wolf issue peaked, RMEF was writting articles, two to one, in favor of the wolf reintroduction. I wrote a letter to the editor accusing them of being prowolf and they weremistateing thier mission statement, that is printed in the magazine. About two years ago, they published my letter and responded, I wish I had the issue. I was so furious I threw it away and pledged to never support them again.

Quote, they replied to my accusation, we feel the canadian grey wolf is an important,or intrigal,part of any ecosystem and the reintroduction is a step in the right direction in creating a balance. end quote.

Inthe past year they have back tracked, changed leadership and now straddle the fence with thier green a$$!

I was an annual member since 1989, my son who outfits and guides was a supporting member, and my youngest son was alsoan annual member. None of us belong nor support the RMEF!
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 PM

muley69 makes some excellent points! Especially about access!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Wolves kill elk - lots of elk. How can an organization be pro elk and not take a stand against wolves? Wolves also run outfitters out of business - thats a fact!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:21 PM

Seems to me the RMEF has in recent years, spent more time, money, and energy reintroducing Elk to lacations back east!
It's hard enough to find Wapiti without shipping them out of here wholesale!
You guys near Yellowstone know first hand what the wolf has done to the ecosystem. I hear they are actually creating such a competition as to run the Grizz out!?
Best thing we can do, reintroduce some wolves and Grizz in Central Park.
Let them see what happens first hand!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:09 AM

See if I can stir the Pot, right from their web site..
"

Wolves
RMEF supports de-listing wolves as soon as possible, so that management authority can be assigned to states. RMEF also supports federal funding of state management programs for wolves. We encourage science-based management that responds to economic and social impacts, and seeks balance between predators, prey, habitat and people.
"

http://www.rmef.org/pages/foundfacts.html
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: muley69

The RMEF has maintained no position on the wolf issue. Their refusal to be outspoken against the reintroduction has angered a lot of people. Their recent construction of a 13 million dollar facility was not well recieved by many who felt the money was better spent elsewhere. Their magazine has become increasingly environmental leaning as well. Last year I dropped my membership for the first time since 1996. I'm not sure right now how I feel about the RMEF. While critical habitat is an important issue for the long term management of elk herds, limited access is also becoming a critical issue with management agencies. Urban sprawl and out of state money is locking up many areas once accessable to hunters. With the re-introduction of the wolf, and their expanding presence in the wild, combined with land lock ups, it appears that the wolf may become the primary elk management tool as opposed to hunters. Is it possible that the RMEF may one day find their usefulness has expired? I don't know, but somebody needs to start focusing on access, and coming up with solutions to this increasing problem. Nobody realizes that better then Montanabob and myself, who spent many hours classing hundreds of elk feeding on private, closed to all hunting property, owned by a out of state corporate CEO from Intel.[:'(]
Is this a no hunting or an exclusive hunting area? At least a no hunting area grows elk for everyone to hunt when they leave the ranch. Exclusive access is the real threat to hunting.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I don't get it.....why are these damn wolves so protected?????......forget about the fact that there are tons of them out there and they are destroying the elk/moose population...most states even deny that they have wolf packsin particulay areas.....while hunting the Big Horn Mtns in WY earlier this year, we spotted a couple at approx 500 yds away and they fled upon spotting us (which leads me to be beleive that hunters are shooting at them-"GOOD"). Later that day we went by a check station and advised the fish & game officer there and he denied the fact that they have wolf packs there... we insisted that they were wolves and he stated that they were probably coyotes...HAHAHAHA...trust me,"they were wolves"...later that day, we spoke to a nearby rancher and advised him of what the g&f Officer told us and he laughed. When we asked why he was laughing he simply stated that they know that there are wolves there but they continue to deny it. That rancher continued to tell us that several of his cattle have been attacked and he doesn't hesitate shooting at wolves whenever he's given the opportunity. I think the fed govt has got to step in and do something about regulating the wolf population....just my opinion

Quick Reply: RMEF and wolves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.