HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - RMEF and wolves
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM
tangozulu
Typical Buck

Default RE: RMEF and wolves

ORIGINAL: muley69

The RMEF has maintained no position on the wolf issue. Their refusal to be outspoken against the reintroduction has angered a lot of people. Their recent construction of a 13 million dollar facility was not well recieved by many who felt the money was better spent elsewhere. Their magazine has become increasingly environmental leaning as well. Last year I dropped my membership for the first time since 1996. I'm not sure right now how I feel about the RMEF. While critical habitat is an important issue for the long term management of elk herds, limited access is also becoming a critical issue with management agencies. Urban sprawl and out of state money is locking up many areas once accessable to hunters. With the re-introduction of the wolf, and their expanding presence in the wild, combined with land lock ups, it appears that the wolf may become the primary elk management tool as opposed to hunters. Is it possible that the RMEF may one day find their usefulness has expired? I don't know, but somebody needs to start focusing on access, and coming up with solutions to this increasing problem. Nobody realizes that better then Montanabob and myself, who spent many hours classing hundreds of elk feeding on private, closed to all hunting property, owned by a out of state corporate CEO from Intel.[:'(]
Is this a no hunting or an exclusive hunting area? At least a no hunting area grows elk for everyone to hunt when they leave the ranch. Exclusive access is the real threat to hunting.