Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 11-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I want to become a hunting guide, what must I do?

Beaverjack and Surestrike...nice to hear from two guys that know their way around the block and are honest. People that hunt with outfitters have to realize its a 2 way street. When you book a hunt book it with your head and be realistic in your expectations..if your picking a hunt in deepest darkest Idaho or Montana be sure your in shape if not don't go , heck there are hunts I know I can't go on unless my back or knee heals and I would be a fool to book something without being in peak condition. If you go you have no one to blame but yourself if your miserable and dont kill something. That brings me up to the next point..realistic expectations of game quality.. hopefully the area you are hunting will have a good population of animals and the outfitter if reputable will tell you this, if your told there are 5x5's in the area don't gripe because you can't find any 6x6 350 bulls running around when you get there. Count a kill as a blessing and nothing more. Your guide won't be miserable and you won't be either, believe me they feel enough pressure to produce if their good enough that they don't need some tinhorn prodding them on. And last of all enjoy yourself and the scenery...there must be a reason why guys go hunting in these places for 7 days a year and spend the remaining 358 dreaming about it. My .02 for what its worth
Old 11-12-2002, 05:35 PM

Pecker- I apologize if you took my comment about fat assed hunters personal. My reference was to those who buy the 90% crap and expect the guides to make it happen for the bucks they spend. Your attitude and finances are just like mine but I bet many are the opposite. At 6'2" and 240 I ain't exactly svelt! Also be careful about the dying stuff. I have a freind in Oregon who had 2 out of 5 clients die of heart attacks on his first ever trip guiding with his brother. Elk hunting can be tough on older bodies and I hope I can just keep up for a few more years. Good hunting.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Glad you mentioned the dead hunters. Its a fact of life. So much talk 'bout guns an' calibers an' shoe lace wax fer hunting, when the most important equipment you have is yer body. If it ain't up to it, then thet new rangefinder is jus' one more piece of junk fer yer widow to sell at 1/2 its value.

BJ
Old 11-14-2002, 09:52 AM
Spike

Good points well taken, Glen and BJ. No offense taken here Glen. I have pretty thick skin on this old Italian ass...lol. I can honestly say I feel for you guys and you all have a tough job. You're right. I shouldn't kid about my ticker but I do know enough to stop and sit when I over do it. Usually that takes care of it but sometimes I have to take Nitro but that's rare. I try to take good care of myself but I know that even if I had the dough to book a hunt, I would never book one unless I felt confident that I wouldn't be a burden to the guides or anyone else accompanying us. It's still a dream of mine though. I was lucky enough to be in the Air Force for eight years and lived all over the country. I lived in New Mexico for 3 yrs and loved it. I hunted all the time there and got deer, Javelina, Jack Rabbits and anteolope. But I was never lucky enough to draw a permit for Elk in NM of Colorado. Guess that one will always evade me. Oh well, good hunting you guys and hope all goes well this year.

Edited by - Crowpecker on 11/14/2002 11:52:20
Old 12-11-2002, 06:17 PM

EXPERIENCE