Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Purifying Water

Old 08-29-2005, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Purifying Water

I filter my water with a First Need filter. It's excellent. It's certified to meet EPA Microbiological Purification Standard against cysts, bacteria AND virus.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ssmith_1187

Another alternative is to use Katadyn's Micropur.

Purifying water couldn't be easier, simply drop a Micropur tablet into a quart of water; drink with confidence and no chemical aftertaste. [ul][*]Features the same proven technology used in municipal water supplies; effective against viruses, bacteria, Giardia and Cryptosporidium[*]Destroys viruses and bacteria in 15 minutes, Giardia in 30-minutes and Cryptosporidia in 4-hours[*]Meets the US EPA purification guidelines; active ingredient is chlorine dioxide[*]Each tablet is individually wrapped and sealed[*]While a 4-hour wait time may be inconvenient, alternative disinfectants do not claim to destroy Cryptosporidium [/ul]
To protect consumers who may not be able to determine if the water is cold and turbid (dirty), the EPA requires product instructions to have a 4 hour wait time.

While a mountain stream is cold...it probably isn't dirty. Katadyn says a 30 minute wait is all that is required even for Crypto.

Bilbow hit it right on the head...Bucky the Beaver might be legs up not 50 yards upstream from you.

You can pick up a 30-pack at REI for around $15.

Regards,
Steve
Dang Steve,
Are you getting paid to sell these things?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Spike

Well I just got back. I can now see why all the fuss over purifying water. There was cattle everywhere. And other hunters had camps set up along the same creek system that we were camped on. No doubt washing dishes, brushing teeth, bathing etc. Sure am glad I bought a purifier!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:05 PM

I went on a 3 week camping trip in Maine with Outward Bound. We used Iodine drops to purify the water. We had little iodine droppers that we would put into our water bottles. I think it was 5 drops to be purified within an hour and 10 drops to be purified withih a half hour. The taste wasnt bad, I never even tasted the iodine at all. I think I'll be doing the same thing when I go bear/deer hunting in the Adirondacks for 5 days. Goodluck