Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

water

Old 04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default water

Does a turkey have to have water everyday. I went out today first weekend and they just won't talk back to me. I was talking to another guy that went out and he said the same thing. It's been cold here but the birds are in some bunches now. The birds just seem not interested in much. Do you thing is just a little early.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:07 PM

Default RE: water

I hunted this whole week and they were not talking back. They are already henned up. They really dont have any interest in responding to calls or coming into decoys. Im hunting in Texas
Old 04-07-2007, 03:24 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I'm not sure what to think because we had snow a week ago and is just about all gone now. Idon't think we arethat far along yet. I live in Mt.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:21 PM

neb, if there is enough moisture in the vegetation that turkeys eat this time of year than they don't necessarily have to go drink water. If there are any ponds or creeks around though they will certainly utilize them. I don't think the turkeys are tight lipped right now because of needing a drink, more because of cooler weather and they are with hens. Tomorrow could be totally different, as there is no always in the crazy world of turkey hunting. They'll get fired up again. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Thanks for the help. I wanted to know if they needed water each day because I found a place to hunt and this morning about 10 o'clock we seen some hens and toms coming from a dam. We've had a hard time finding birds this spring. I think tomorrow I will set up in the creek bottom going to the dam. I just can't get them to anwser me. I did see those toms fan out some while being with those hens. When we called to them they just took off walking in to the timber and didn't stay with the rest of the turkeys.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys need water just like all animals, but they dont have to go to a pond or river always. They can drink out of any little puddle and such.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 PM

I got the same responses. They are struting but just to show off. They all are paired up with their hens already. I noticed that my calls and decoys were just messing me up. Try leaving your calls at home.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yes turkeys have to have water everyday. They get it in various ways. Whether its from plants or from getting a drink from a puddle. Also remember they also must have some sort of gravel to help them digest their foods...