Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Do black bear stay in the same general area? >

Do black bear stay in the same general area?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do black bear stay in the same general area?

Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Do black bear stay in the same general area?

Or do they travel vast distances to eat? I have been hunting a general area with lots of rasburrys and water around. There has been LOTS of bear sign. Lots of tracks and dung. When I was leaving there was a steaming pile of crap about the size of a football right in the middle of the cinder road. That was yesterday. I cant get back to hunt that area untill late next week. Do you think the bear or bears will still be around?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do black bear stay in the same general area?

I'm pretty sure black bears have a pretty large home range that they travel. I know they do in our neck of the woods anyway. We may have a bear in camp on night and it might not be until three days later until we see him again.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:23 PM

Here in Va. They travel from the mountains down and back up. I think they do alot of wondering.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The all have like a "Home Range" And they stay in that area until they are pushed out by Humans or a Bigger Bruin!! They are scavengers so they are always on the prowl. That's why you may seem them one day and then not the next. They are not like a big mulie.. They stay in a small area.. Which I call there safe zone. And they won't usually leave there safe zone unless they get pushed out. A bruin does have a larger "Home Range" then a deer does. But it is all the same. The bears that you will see most of, are the ones that just left mommy. Because they are looking to establishe there own "Home Range"...But I'll bet you dollars for doughnuts, they will still be around your area.. Just give them a day or two. And if Legal set up a couple small bear bait stations! Keep them in your area! Good luck!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Bears like to do few things more than eat. If you find their favorite spot to feed, i.e. the only good berry patch for miles, you will find bears. They are like my beagle, who would almost rather eat a good meal than have sex LOL.