Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Let's talk bullets for a minute. >

Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Let's talk bullets for a minute.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Default RE: Let's talk bullets for a minute.

I am a big fan of the Swift A-Frames for big boned heavy skinned animals. They do not expand all that well, but penetrate deeply and will break bones and keep right on trucking. They are known for maitianing on average 90% of their weight. I have shot several moose and caribou with the A-frame, have never not had a bullet pass through, and its a bone crusher. My second choice is the Nosler Partition, better expansion than the A-frame, but not quite the penetrating ability. A black bear has thick heavy bones and a tough hide. Get a heavy penetrating bullet and shoot him in the shoulders. You break those bears DOWN! Worry about lung shots with no meat damage on your elk. Break that sucker down is the motto most bear hunters up here seem to have. I even know one guy who has shot a few grizzly bears that claims that shooting them in the hips is even better than the shoulders. Shatter the pelvis andTHEN put a killing shot into them.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:25 PM

I'll agree with everyone else, bullets are the least of your worries. Just get a premium bullet with controlled expansion and that issue is settled.
That scope has to go. I have no idea why anyone would use that in a real hunting situation unless they were trying to snipe at deer from hundreds of yards in broad daylight while they fed from a timed feeder. You would honestly be better served by a simple fixed 4 power but I think a 3x9 is what you need. But I get the feeling that you don't trust your shooting ability enough and feel more powerfull optics would help. Trust me, it won't. It only gives the impression of helping. 90% of accurate shooting is up to the shooter and 10% is up to the equipment. Get a few full cases of ammo and head out to the range. Shoot from the prone, sitting supported, sitting unsupported and offhanded but stay away from that bench. Only use that bench to zero the rifle. If you use to practice you'll become dependant upon it and won't be able to shoot in the field.
Now about that 300 yard shot you're hoping to take. Forget about it, only a very young and foolish black bear would venture out into a field during broad daylight. I suppose that it does happen but it doesn't happen very often. Most black bears love deep woods, the deeper and darker the better. If you want a big bear, get in the woods. Expect short shots from 20 to 60 yards.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 AM

I use my 30-06 for black bairs and I've been very happy with the Nosler Partitions and Failsafes in 180 grain. Great penetration without the fragmentation.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

I will take it from your post your are fairly new to hunting. The 300 WSM is more than capable as a black bear round. I would choose one of the following loads that are available for your rifle. Winchester loads the following ammo that is acceptable for black bear: 180 gr. Accubond, 180 Fail Safe, & 165 gr. Fail Safe. Federal has the following loads: 165 & 180 gr. Nosler Partitions, 180 gr. Accubond, 180 gr. Barnes TSX, & 180 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. The above are all controlled expansion bullets and will work well on the largest blackies. If your rifle shoots the Winchester 180 gr. Ballistic Tips well you may want to try the Winchester load with the 180 gr. Accubond. This bullet will look similar to the BT and it's core is bonded so it will penetrate deeper and hold more weight. Most any hunting bullet will take a black bear with at broadside shot. You must plan and be ready for shot angles that aren't perfect when hunting. The controlled expansion bullets will provide the penetration you need when shot angle isn't perfect. The conttolled expansion bullets are a must if you like to put the bullet through both shoulders and drop the animal on the spot.

As for your scope choice I wouldn't use the scope for hunting. In the $300 price range there are two scopes I've used and would recommend. The Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10X40 available from Cabelas for $299 & the Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 for $299. If you look around you can get these cheaper. You will be much happier with one of these than the scope you are looking at for hunting. My other suggestion is practice until you are confident you can make the 300 yard shot or limit yourself to a lower effective range. Just because a rifle and caliber are capable at 300 doesn't mean the rifleman is capable. Good luck and good hunting!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 03:05 PM

I will say that the prices for scopes are darn good at that site(sportsmans guide).3-9 redfield scopes for 99 bucks seems like a good deal!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

a 10-40x50 mm scope for BEAR HUNTING ???? [1] maximum scope for serious hunting bear,moose ,caribou and deer = 2.5-10x40 mm !!the 50 mm i find too big and ackward for "HUNTING" ..unless u are a sniper by ocupation ..
Old 08-13-2005, 10:07 PM

I would have to say that the scope is a little too powerful, but then again the topic of the post isn't scopes...it's bullets. I don't know all of the offerings for the 300WSM, but I do know that a wounded bear isn't something that you want to track a country mile. Your best bet is to shoot a bullet that is fairly heavy for the caliber. I would start at the 180s in the 300WSM. I would look for a good bullet like the Nosler partition, the Trophy Bonded, the Barnes X, and the Failsafe for starters. Buy a few different kinds and see which ones your rifle likes best. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those. I would even try the 20 grain bullets too. They may havea little more drop at longer ranges, but in realistic hunting situations (inside 400 yards) no 300 magnum has enough drop with any bullet to really make much of a difference between the 180s and the 200s, and I would feel better with 20 more grains of bullet weight. As a side note, I would reconsider the scope. The 10-40 is OK for varmint hunting, or even antelope hunting, but I've never heard of a hunter taking a shot at a black bear from 400 yards away on an open prairie. I think that you would be better served by something a little more practical.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

hy TOM ur right let's talk bullet;s i shoot 180gr.WINCHESTER SUPREME ACCUBOND in my 300wsm ..for all north american game ..the 16 of sept. i will be in CANIAPISCAU hunting caribou .before i shot 150gr. WINCHESTER SUPREME BALISTIC SILVERTIP .but the bullet would fragment too easy when it hit bones [bullet initiates rapid fragmentation] ok for varmit hunting ..i hope i answered ur question ..take care ..