Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

DIY Dall sheep

Old 06-06-2005, 02:11 PM

Default DIY Dall sheep

Is there such a thing? If so, where? I've heard that the Alaska Range is about played out. Is this true?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY Dall sheep

You have to have a guide, or be with a relative that is a resident of Alaska that is a first cousin or closer to hunt dall sheep, grizz, and muskox I believe.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:40 PM

You cannot legally hunt sheep alone as a nonresident without having a relative up here go with you. You cannot grizzly bear or mountain goat solo either.

The Alaskan Range has plenty of sheep, as does the Brooks, the Chugiak, etc. The thing is, all of the easily accessible sheep are shot out, those that remain require lots of $$ or lots of leg work to access.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Well does anyone want to be my cousin? Maybe I'll get a post office box and change my residency to alaska.[8D]
Old 06-07-2005, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Well does anyone want to be my cousin? Maybe I'll get a post office box and change my residency to alaska.[8D]
It is not that difficult to become an Alaska Resident... In fact, it is the EASIEST of all the states of which I am familiar.

Here is the statute...

AS 01.10.055. Residency.

(a) A person establishes residency in the state by being physically present in the state with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely and to make a home in the state.

(b) A person demonstrates the intent required under (a) of this section

(1) by maintaining a principal place of abode in the state for at least 30 days or for a longer period if a longer period is required by law or regulation; and

(2) by providing other proof of intent as may be required by law or regulation, which may include proof that the person is not claiming residency outside the state or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency outside the state.

(c) A person who establishes residency in the state remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country, or performs other acts or is absent under circumstances that are inconsistent with the intent required under (a) of this section to remain a resident of this state

Anyway, I have had a few friends declare residency in Alaska over the years, the way to do it is as follows:

1) purchase a piece of property

2) declare it as your primary residence on your loan

3) go hunting/fishing in Alaska for a month (1 guy fished Salmon for 2 weeks around his house and did a 1 week Caribou drop camp). Keep your arrival flight itinerary.

4) Get a PO BOX and have the mail forwarded to your "temporary" residence in Montana or whereever...

5) Declare residency in Alaska

6) Get an Alaska Driver's License

7) Register to vote in Alaska

8) have written correspondence with potential employers in Alaska

9) turn in your previous driver's license

10) purchase a NON-resident hunting license in your old home State.

11) update your previous home loan from "primary residence" to "vacation home"

Is it worth it?

That is up to you...

SA
Old 06-07-2005, 05:32 PM

Suggest you read what Fish and Game say a resident is in the regulations. You must live here for one full year before you are a resident. Fish and Game called me the first time I bought a resdient license and checked up on me to make sure everything was square as well, since I lived here for about three months before I bought a home.

Also, you cannot take your cousin hunting. Only first degree kindred = father, mother, brother, sister, or stepfather, etc.