Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

Community
The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
You'll get him doetrain, just stay positive and hunt where you think you have the best shot at seeing birds. Sounds like you got the birds pinned down and it's only a matter of time. Your luck can change just like that bud, just keep at em. What kind of decoy setup are you using?
2 Fat Juicy Hens,no Tom or Jake. Went after him again this morning,no decoys just soft calls which of course he gobbled at. This morning he moved to the right onto some private property I can't hunt on. He went into a valley crossed a creek then headed up to the other ridge on the right which I can hunt. I went after him by making a right flanking move trying to get ahead of him. Thicker than shreaded wheat all the way with briars everywhere. My leaf suit is taking a beating trying to kill this bird. I got over near where he came out at but the Hens got to him first,I could here them clucking and purring in the valley below,game over! Had to get to work so that hunt is history. This bird will either be killed by me or he will kill me in the process. I'm 57,fat and out of shape and I can't keep this up much longer. But I'm determined to give him a couple more rounds at his roost tonight,or once again in the morning. How well can they see before daylight? Team mates help me out here I need wisdom to kill this smart mature bird!

Last edited by doetrain; 04-30-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Blackheal,dang nice bird for the Team and yourself!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
2 Fat Juicy Hens,no Tom or Jake. Went after him again this morning,no decoys just soft calls which of course he gobbled at. This morning he moved to the right onto some private property I can't hunt on. He went into a valley crossed a creek then headed up to the other ridge on the right which I can hunt. I went after him by making a right flanking move trying to get ahead of him. Thicker than shreaded wheat all the way with briars everywhere. My leaf suit is taking a beating trying to kill this bird. I got over near where he came out at but the Hens got to him first,I could here them clucking and purring in the valley below,game over! Had to get to work so that hunt is history. This bird will either be killed by me or he will kill me in the process. I'm 57,fat and out of shape and I can't keep this up much longer. But I'm determined to give him a couple more rounds at his roost tonight,or once again in the morning. How well can they see before daylight? Team mates help me out here I need wisdom to kill this smart mature bird!
I don't think they see too well before daylight in the thick of the woods. Imagine you're a turkey roosted up in a leafy oak tree and something comes walking under you. Heck it could be a deer, could be an armadillo, coon, coyote, or a number of other things. If you were look down and picture yourself walking, you aren't the size of a ball cap once you get where the bird can see you under the tree. And in the dark, especially down on the forest floor where it's darkest, you might not be seen at all. On the other hand, if you're walking out in the open towards the roosted birds, you might want to rethink your entry. I think you've got all the wisdom you need, it's just a matter of being there on the right day to make it happen. A lot of times it takes aggressive pursuit and some run and gun tactics....or "crawl" and gun.....to drive him crazy enough to come in. Sitting still doesn't always kill them, no matter how good you sound to him.............sounds like you got that part figured out too, judging by your story of the leafy suit in the briar patch. That's not fun by the way. Stick with it as long as you can doetrain, I know it gets tough in the late season when the frustration sets in. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that some have assured me they can't see like a cat in the dark I entend to get about 70 yards under him before light in a creek bottom he crossed today. The woods are real thick up high and on the ground,the creek is a smooth bottom not rocky. I plan on getting as agressive as I can next to carpet bombing the area! The story continues tomarrow. Thanks for the encouragement SS our season is 7 days old as of tomarrow. They are gobbling and strtutin good in the mornings only at this time. Heard 3 this morning within 1/2 mile,2 were across the road but none of them has a set of pipes like the one I'm after.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I wish I could say my 4th. hunt trying to kill one particular bird met with success this morning,but I can't. He did his stand your ground and gobble for 30 minutes routine, but refused to come to me across the valley where I can legally hunt. He stayed on private property the whole time,I bet the home owner wishes he would find a new place to call for the ladies. He was within 100 yards of his back yard! The guys dogs bark every morning then he puts them up to shut them up. I think it's going to take a better hunter than me to get this bird to come and dine on some shot,I'm moving on to another spot tomarrow. Sorry I could not seal the deal on this Tom,he's a dandy of a bird.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

got another tag filled! Details and pics to follow tonight when I get home
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome blackheel
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Story and pics will have to wait until tomorrow! I'm pooped. Stats for today's tom-23 lbs 10 5/16 beard 1" right, 15/16 left. He had what I guess was the start of a second beard about 1" below the normal beard. No filaments in it though. Someday....
Old 05-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Finally after hunting 3 days, I was seeing jakes. I seen a big tom Sunday in the wheat field 90 yards away, gobbling for a long time. I was getting tired and walked towards him and he walked in the woods. Today I set up around the field from him and I heard him gobbled at 5:22 a.m, and at 5:30 I yelped and gobbled back and around 6:00 he flew down and walk across the field to the valley and gobbled and I yelped and purred couple times and then 3 jakes coming my way and the big tom was walking around the corner by my decoys. 15 yards away, I got my bow and shot it and it dropped 10 yards away.The jakes running to the big tom so I got out of my blind and picked it up. I took it home and the weight was 22.8lbs. beard size 10 3/4, right spur 1 3/8, left spur 1 1/8. I will send pictures to Mr. Arrow Master.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck yeah fellas! Way to bust em blackheel and turkman!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.