Fork Horn

4/13/13
7:45 pm
Public Land
21 lbs
10 5/8" beard
L -1" & R -7/8" spurs (Strutter too!)
30 yards
Story to follow later if I have time....

Old 04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking public land bird Blackheel, congrats. I hit some public land yesterday where a buddy of mine killed a double bearded bird last week. He had to take me in there because I had no idea where it was, and I tell you what I will probably never go back. The climb back outta that place was completely insane. We did get on two birds gobbling at about 7:30 about 200 yds down in a steep hollow. They were gobbling back and forth at each other and after we got set up we started calling to them. After just a few minutes of calling to them and getting good responses, we heard some idiot hit a crow call right down where the birds were gobbling. Why he felt the need to crow call to birds that were already gobbling is beyond me. He crow called several times right in close to the birds and must have spooked them off because we never heard them again or saw them. We sat there another hour waiting for any sign of them and the fool down in the hole threw every stupid call he had at them, including a dern owl call at 8:30 and several horrible gobbles with what was probably one of those dumb shaker deals. After he started doing that we left that spot and started walking some more. Never heard or saw anything after that.

I went back to my place today and sat in the rain for 6 hours and saw one hen walk by early in the morning. I might give it one more shot later toward the end of the season but right now I'm just ready to get moved into my new house and just relax with my little girl on the weekends. Two seasons in a row of this is tough but I guess it happens.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear it SS. We were blessed to have that section of the land to ourselves for some reason yesterday. It was a youth & adult draw hunt. Had my nephew with me. We should have doubled but miscommunication lead to mistiming of the shot. It was my fault. I'm just glad I got him on a nice tom last Saturday on youth day (also a public land bird!) Last Saturday's hunt was bad with hunters on top of hunters in the morning despite it being a limited draw hunt.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

That's a good lookin bird blackheel!!! Hope I can get on one.....well shoot one like that before season goes out! I've been on more than my fair share, just have the turkey gods frowning on me this year! Lol!
How many can you take in a season? You still going to be out hunting?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats Blackheel that a very nice turk. Great job
Old 04-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job blackheal! Arrowmaster left it to me to post the scores,never done it before so be patient and I'll get it up as quick as I can. Great Bird!

Last edited by doetrain; 04-15-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blackheel
4/13/13
7:45 pm
Public Land
21 lbs
10 5/8" beard
L -1" & R -7/8" spurs (Strutter too!)
30 yards
Story to follow later if I have time....

Blackheal Your Score Is> 21+8.75+10+21.25=61 Great Job!

Last edited by doetrain; 04-15-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since I'm new to scoring our Birds,you guys double check me until Arrowmaster gets back! I won't mind being corrected if need be.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
Ok Im leaving today for Missouri. Im ready to feel the rush. Im gonna bust my butt and try and put one on the ground Monday. Im setting blinds Sunday and will be ready to go Monday. I wont be back until late wednesday night so someone has to step up and score birds if we get some. I put the names in a hat and drew and doetrain your name was drawn to score the birds and post them. Hopefully we can lay the smack down. Good luck to all and be safe. Missouri here I come
Let the feathers fly Captain,good hunting to ya!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Well *&%(^*#.................:b ash:

I've done it yet again. Two consecutive hunts with two consecutive misses. I will be shooting my gun this evening to see what's up. This one hurts. He gobbled at EVERYTHING I did. I even beat my hat on my leg as if a hen were flying across a little branch and he triple gobbled at it!

I got nestled in between a nice size tree and a rock bluff. The bird was on top of the bluff but it sounded as if he would swing around and come up the hollow. Nooooooo!!!!! He pitched off the thing about 15 yards away just over my head and hit the ground about 30 yards away! I guess I got turkey fever. HE HARDLY FLINCHED WHEN I SHOT!!!! He gobbled a few more times after I shot. For some reason my gun ejected my second shell after the shot. IT'S A STINKIN' BENELLI SBEII FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! He gave me a great second shot but I DIDN'T HAVE A FREAKIN' SHELL IN MY CHAMBER!! I had to cycle my last shell in but by then he had gotten too far. I spent the next hour trying to convince him to come to see me again. We made our way down the hollow some more before I gave up on him.

I think I will wallow in self pity for awhile.
Shake it off and get back in the ring,ya gottem on the ropes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.