Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits >

Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Team 1 ~ Beard Bandits

Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Doetrain,
I got 21+8.75+10+21.25=61 from the NWTF calculator. Beard was 10 & 5/8 or 10.625. We'll need all our points with others gunning for us!

For the others - I have one NC tag left and a few out of state tags so I'll hopefully get some more opportunities.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blackheel
Doetrain,
I got 21+8.75+10+21.25=61 from the NWTF calculator. Beard was 10 & 5/8 or 10.625. We'll need all our points with others gunning for us!

For the others - I have one NC tag left and a few out of state tags so I'll hopefully get some more opportunities.
Correction made Blackheel,I had a space in the last measurement which caused an error.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird blackheel
Old 04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks doetrain! No problems!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Good job. I hate to say but I have let us down one more time. I should have 4 in the freezer but missed my third bird yesterday. I have since changed guns and bought a red dot scope. I checked my gun and it was all me.

My last miss was laying on my belly on a dirt bank after the bird snuck in behind me in the cutover. He marched in on a string. He gobbled 150 yards out and then 10 minutes later he was behind me in the clear cut about 25 yards. I had no idea he was coming. He didn't gobble like a hot bird.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Good job. I hate to say but I have let us down one more time. I should have 4 in the freezer but missed my third bird yesterday. I have since changed guns and bought a red dot scope. I checked my gun and it was all me.

My last miss was laying on my belly on a dirt bank after the bird snuck in behind me in the cutover. He marched in on a string. He gobbled 150 yards out and then 10 minutes later he was behind me in the clear cut about 25 yards. I had no idea he was coming. He didn't gobble like a hot bird.
Those Alabama Turkeys are harder to hit than a BAMA runing back! Stay after them bald9eagle their luck will run out on the next one. Just take a deep breath and gently sqeezzzzze that trigger.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did some scouting behind my land tonight,heard a bird hammering good about 6 pm. He gobbled 12 times over a 30 minute period slowly getting closer to where I was tucked into a brier bush. I wanted to get a look at him to see if he was a mature bird,finally came into view,not much to look at. His beard was 4" about 1/2 spurs,maybe 17 lbs. the only thing impressive about him was his gobble. He had 4 or 5 hens 70 to 80 yards away clucking,yelping and getting the young stud all wound up. I watched him for 15 minutes waiting to see if a Top Tom was going to come along and run him off,nothing. Finally eased out as he moved away toward the hens in the thick stuff. Got my blood up for the youth hunt this Saturday,got a good bird lined up for my youth hunters. Hoping another shows up before then so we can double up on them.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I left Saturday for Missouri. Set my lind on Sunday. Headed out Monday morning for opening day. I head to my blind only to find it turned upside down from a storm the night before. Got it all fixed up back in place. Set decoys and got ready to have some fun. I heard 3 toms across the road from me and 2 on the neighbors property. Nothing within 300 yards. Well daybreak comes and I start off with some soft yelps, some clucks and purrs. About 15 mins later I repeated the series. The I heard it the old gobbler cluck. He was looking for me and apparently he wanted me to come to him. Well I couldnt convince him to come in and a closer look. He got as close as 100 yards. Bummer. He walked off. So I waited for about 30 mins and decided to get aggressive with the calls. Nothing. I then fired up a glass call and about 5 minutes later I see a gobbler headed my way. I gave hime aa few clucks and purrs. He locked on to my decoys and he was on his way. He closed the distance quick and came up a water way hopped up right behind my strutting tom decoy went to full strut at 15 yards. I put the bead on his head and knocked him right back in the water way. So we both got soaked. He weighed 20lbs, 1in spurs and 9in beard. It was an awesome hunt and I just love the rush I get from turkey hunting.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Heres opening morning results at the outfitter I go to. The bird closest is my bird.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

ok heres my score Your score is 20 + 10 + 10 + 18 = 58

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.