HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new respect for bow hunters
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Ky Bob
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Another good tip is to learn a deer's body language. For instance if a deer looks at you at close range, try not to make eye contact. A lot of times deer will look directly at you. But if you don't move and your camo is a good pattern for the area, they will seem to look through you. Remember, you're in their living room. If they put their head down, don't think all is OK. They may just jerk it right back up to see if they can catch you moving. Now if they put their head down and flick their tail - that's a sign of a relaxed deer. So just bide your time and move only when you can't see their eyes, or if they are focused on something else - another deer, passing car, etc.
Also, constantly but slowly scan the surroundings for parts of deer. It is much better to already have your bow in hand and waiting when it comes into range then to try and go through all the motions of standing, getting your bow off the hanger, drawing, etc. Getting away with all that movement means you have to move at a speed that would make a snail look fast.

X2............I wear face paint and I think that helps quite a bit. Always place your stand where the sun is not hitting right on you. If it is they will most likely pick you off. I put my billfold, truck keys, and cell phone in Zip Lock bags and never wear a leather belt that I've worn all year. I also wear rubber knee high boots that I use for hunting only and watch deer walk right where I have and never spook. No matter what you do to control scent they will smell you if the wind is not right. If it's not right for the stand I want to hunt I go to another stand or stay home.