HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest-144/)
-   -   2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest/396962-2014-returning-champs-turkey-killers.html)

swampbuster 02-19-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigc870 (Post 4185539)
Folks I got a decoy question.....

Over the years I have hunted with with one or two hens and jake or full grown tom and I have never been about to get a male turkey to come in they always hang up, this has held true for 6-7 years and I have had pretty good success with just hens.

But here is my question if I put out a feeding hen and a submissive hen out with NO male decoys. Do you think the bird I am trying to call in would be more or less likely to come in because it sees the hen in submissive or would it put it more on alert?

I know you can't say for sure, just looking for some input on how you feel about the setup I might try this spring.

I have not had a lot of luck with full srut decoys, they seem to try and skirt around them. I don't think a submissive hen would put a turkey on alert. If you try it let us know how it turns out

swampbuster 02-19-2015 06:03 PM

This afternoon went driving around the national forests and saw a group of eight hens saw lots of gobbler tracks in the snow. Can't wait to start chasing them!!

swampbuster 02-21-2015 06:01 AM

Just found out that I will be starting my turkey season off in Alabama in a month. Can't wait to get started chasing turkeys. I have never hunted in Alabama or hunted that early in the spring. Can't wait to get things started!

jepcho 02-21-2015 07:19 AM

Hey guys, I haven't been on in a couple weeks thought I'd check in. It's been plenty cold here, some -10 degree weather this week, but I still cant stop thinking that spring is right around the corner. Opening day up here is April 13th, but I will be taking my little brother out before that during our youth season which opens April 4th. Might still be pretty cold by then, but the birds will be gobbling! So I'll be hard at it this year from April 4th till about May 17th, unless I find another place in Nebraska to go late season, then I might be hunting another week after that.. It's going to be a great spring season and I cant wait!!

Talondale 02-27-2015 07:25 AM

Wow. Things started back sooner than I thought. Checking in.

Phil from Maine 02-28-2015 09:03 AM

Welcome back Talondale! It is good to have you signing in.. I hope everyone has a great season this year.. I am concerned about mine right now with record snowfall that has broken our 100 year old records and more heading our way.. You guys may end up dragging the captain along this year.. I hope not though and I can help carry things along again..

Talondale 03-02-2015 05:40 AM

We still have snow on the ground here, nothing like you guys though. Saw turkey walking the edge of my woods yesterday in the snow. Opening weekend is April 11th.

Phil from Maine 03-02-2015 01:45 PM

I am hearing a few has been seen walking along a section of highway in which one was hit by someone driving by,, Other than that I have not heard on seen any yet.. Hopefully the snow has not been to hard.. I am thinking it was terrible for them as it was all light and fluffy for the most part.. This what things look a lot like right now up here in my area.. This bank here is where it had drifted and is roughly 12 feet tall.. Most are around 6 plus feet tall right now..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...-snow-bank.jpg

swampbuster 03-02-2015 04:13 PM

Hopefully things start to warm up for you Phil!

Phil from Maine 03-03-2015 02:36 AM

Thank you, I am hoping so as well. It is supposed to get up to 40 tomorrow and then tomorrow night another big snowstorm.. I will be glad when things start heating up a bit and melts all this stuff away.. My guess is during our turkey season will be some serious flooding going on.. But with some luck I will still be able to locate some birds..